The article was consulted professionally by Specialist I Huynh Kim Long – Emergency Resuscitation Doctor – Emergency Resuscitation Department – Share99 Da Nang International Health Hub.
Emergency hypertension is a life-threatening emergency so the physician needs to take appropriate action.
1. What is emergency hypertension?
- Hypertension is a clinically common condition, hypertension can be a risk factor for coronary and cerebral vascular diseases. Hypertensive crisis is a condition where blood pressure rises rapidly and severely with systinal blood pressure > 180 mmHg and/or diasysm > 120 mmHg.
- Hypertensive crisis Consists of 2 clinical bodies: emergency hypertension and emergency hypertension
- Hypertensive emergency: Severe hypertension with progressive targeted body damage. Health Hubization for hypotension should be treated with intravenous drugs immediately
- Hypertensive urgency: Severe hypertension with no progressive targeted body damage. Hypertension is merely with headaches, dizziness, anxiety is not considered as emergency hypertension. Common in patients who do not comply with treatment, or discontinue medications they are taking.
- Hypertension requires emergency emergency with damage to targeted muscles including:
- Cerebral vascular accidents: acute cerebral infarction, cerebral hemorrhage, srachnoid hemorrhage
- Coronary syndrome
- Aortic dissection
- Acute pulmonary edema
- Emergency renal failure
- Production of jerks
- Adrenoid myeloma
Causes of hypertension:
- Treatment of inappropriate blood pressure
- Do not control blood pressure well such as insufficient doses, do not coordinate drugs, quit voluntarily
- Medications used with corticoids
- Salty diet
- New or progressive renal artery stenosis
Symptoms of hypertension that can be life-threatening include:
- Severe chest pain
- Severe headache with consciousness disorders, blurred vision
- Nausea, vomiting
- Shortness of breath
- Not responding
2. Emergency hypertension treatment
If the patient's blood pressure is ≥ 180/120mmHg and there are symptoms associated with damage to the target body such as chest pain, shortness of breath, back pain, numbness, weakness of the exfew, impaired consciousness, difficulty speaking, blurred vision, nausea or vomiting, it is considered an emergency hypertension and needs to call an ambulance immediately to be able to receive timely medical attention to avoid serious injuries.
- Patients should be taken to a medical facility for intensive care
- Continuous monitoring of arterial blood pressure
- Immediate hypotension with intravenous drugs with electric injection pumps to control blood pressure well
- Most cases do not necessarily bring blood pressure right back to normal. Lower blood pressure slowly according to the principle of:
- Lower blood pressure slowly by 20-25% within the first 1 hour
- If the patient's condition is okay, continue to lower blood pressure to 160/100 mmHg within 2-6 hours and to a normal level within 24-48 hours.
- In some cases, hypotension is required immediately as patients with sy blood pressure aortic dissection should be lowered <120mmHg trong giờ đầu, bệnh nhân có tiền sản giật, sản giật, cơn tăng huyết áp do u tủy thượng thận huyết áp tâm thu cần giảm xuống < 140mmHg trong giờ đầu.
- Identifying factors that aggravate hypertension such as pain, anxiety, use of stimulants such as amphetamines, cocaine … is essential.
- Diagnosis finds the cause of hypertension. Depending on the population, about 20% – 50% of emergency hypertension patients have a second cause of hypertension.
- Drugs for the treatment of hypertension are to have a rapid onc oncological, strong effect, quick recovery, not to cause a fast rhythm, with few side effects. Some commonly used intravenous drugs: nicardipine, nitroglycerine, Sodium nitroprusside, labetalol, hydralazine …
In summary, emergency hypertension is a condition that needs immediate hypotension and the use of drugs suitable for each clinical disease, as prescribed by a doctor, to minimize serious, and life-threatening complications.
Share99 International Health Hub is one of the hospitals that not only ensures professional quality with a team of leading doctors, modern technology equipment system but also stands out for comprehensive and professional medical examination, consultation and treatment services; civilized, polite, safe and sterilized medical examination and treatment space.
Dr Huynh Kim Long has extensive experience in the treatment of Resuscitation – Emergency and Emergency Stroke in adults. Dr Long worked at the Emergency Department of C Da Nang Health Hub before working at Share99 Da Nang International Health Hub as it is today
Customers can directly go to Share99 Health System nationwide for examination or contact the hotline here for assistance.
- Beware of malignant hypertension
- Understanding emergency hypertension
- Emergency hypertension recognition