The article was consulted professionally with Specialist Doctor II Nguyen Van Thai – Doctor of Ear Nose And Throat – Department of Medical Examination and Internal Medicine – Share99 Da Nang International Hospital.
Conjuncular pharyngitis is another name for acute pharyngitis, which is a very common disease, which appears a lot in winter when the weather changes. Treatment of consulsive pharyngitis if not timely and thoroughly will cause many complications that seriously affect the patient's health.
1. What is consulsive pharyngitis?
Congulsive pharyngitis is another name for acute pharyngitis, which occurs when the throat mucosa is attacked by viruses or bacteria that cause blood pressure, swelling, burning pain, edema. It is a very common disease, which can occur in all subjects from adults to children, especially in winter when the weather changes, The disease can appear separately or appear simultaneously with rhinotracheitis, VA inflammation, rhinitis, tonsillitis,…
2. Causes of conjuncence pharyngitis
The main cause of congestive pharyngitis is bacterial, viral penetration, attack of the throat mucosa. These bacteria, viruses are derived from air, food or can be associated with chickenpox, colds, flu, diphtheria, mestility,…
● Common pathogenic viruses are: Adenovirus, Influenza Virus, Para-influenzae Virus, Coxsakie Virus,…
● Common pathogenic bacteria are: Group A, B, C, G hemolytic calta syscoccal; Haemophilus influenzae, yellow bicep, Moraxella catarrhalis, cavalry bacteria,..
Favorable factors for conjuncular pharyngitis:
● Patients with gastric acid reflux, gastric reflux attacks the throat, facilitating bacterial penetration causing inflammation.
● The patient's immune system weakens, facilitating bacterial and viral attacks.
● Contaminated habitat, working environment, frequent exposure to smog, toxic chemicals, tobacco smoke.
● The body adapts not in time to the erratic change of weather, impaired resistance, vulnerable respiratory tract.
● Use hot spicy foods, drink plenty of cold water that damages the throat mucosa.
● People with occupations that require speaking regularly, speaking out loud, speaking as much as teachers, singers, presenters,… there is a risk of damage to the throat mucosa.
3. Symptoms of consatic pharyngitis
If the cause of the disease is viral, the disease usually cures itself after 3-5 days, the symptoms will gradually decrease. If the cause of the disease is bacterial, the symptoms of the disease will last longer days. But in general, whatever the cause, the common symptoms of consulsive pharyngitis are the following:
● The disease usually occurs suddenly, patients with moderate fever of 38-39 degrees or high fever, headache, chills, fatigue, body aches, loss of appetite.
● Special sore throat when swallowing, swallowing fluid also hurts. The sensation of throbbing pain on the ears when swallowing, coughing, speaking.
● Patients with one-on-one cough, dry cough, or sputum cough
● Nasal congestion, shortness of breath, possible nose bleeding
● When examining the doctor will see the entire red throat mucosa, secreted. Lymphatic organizations in the back of the throat are berry red, capillaries are clear. The angular ganglia of the jaw are slightly swollen, slightly painful.
If not treated, consatic pharyngitis can progress and cause many dangerous complications such as:
● Common local complications are inflammation or anxulsion of the sides of the throat, anem, and an appencry to the back of the throat. Cervical gangrene is a rare but difficult to treat complications, the proir is very severe, the patient may die.
● Complications in neighboring areas include pneumonia, otitis, bronchiolitis, acute sinusitis.
● Distant complications: if the cause of the disease is hemolytic stenosis, the person may experience complications such as arthritis, carditis, kidney inflammation, stenosis or sepsis.
4. Treatment of conjuncence pharyngitis
In principle of treatment, if there is no test for the type of virus or bacteria, congestive pharyngitis in patients over 3 years of age should be treated as acute strep throat. The treatment is a combination of the use of antibiotics, symptomatic drugs that help reduce fever, analgesic, anti-inflammatory and local medications.
Regarding specific treatment, commonly used drugs are:
● Penicillin V, Penicillin G, 1st generation Cephalosporins (such as Cefalexin, Cefadroxil,…) or Penicillin A (Amoxicillin)
● If the patient is allergic to the beta lactam group can transfer to the Macrolid group with the drugs Erythromycin, Clarithromycin, Azithromycin,…
● When antibiotic test results are available, change the drug to suit the antibiotic.
● Antipyretics, analgesics: Paracetamol, Ibuprofen, Aspirin,…
● Anti-inflammatory drugs: Prednisolon, Methylprednisolon, Alphachymotrypsin,..
Local treatment: rinse your throat with physiological saline, use lozenges containing essential oils of mint, tea, ginger, honey … helps antiseptic, relieve cough, soothe the throat area.
During the illness, the patient needs to strengthen the nutrition to increase resistance, helping to shorten the duration of the disease. Foods to eat are foods rich in zinc such as cereals, seafood, radishes, bananas,..; foods rich in vitamin C such as oranges, lemons, grapefruit; protein-rich foods such as eggs, meat, fish, milk; drink plenty of water, ginger tea, honey,…
Foods that should be restricted from eating during consulsive pharyngitis are hot spicy, greasy foods, cold drinks with gas, alcohol, beer and sweet, high-sugar foods.
5. Prevention of consatic pharyngitis
Congulsive pharyngitis causes many symptoms that make the person uncomfortable, affecting a lot of work and activity. To limit the risk of disease, people should clean their ears and throat regularly, wear a mask to avoid contact with dust, chemicals, wash their hands often with soap. Avoid contact with people who are having influenza, inflammation of the upper respiratory tract. Good nutrition along with regular physical exercise to increase the body's resistance.
Share99 International Health Hub is one of the hospitals that not only ensures professional quality with a team of leading doctors, modern technology equipment system but also stands out for comprehensive and professional medical examination, consultation and treatment services; civilized, polite, safe and sterilized medical examination and treatment space.
Dr. Nguyen Van Thai is a former Doctor of Ear Nose and Throat Surgery at The Department of Ear Nose and Throat – Hue Central Health Hub with more than 17 years of treatment experience, especially in the field of Head and Neck Surgery. Currently an Entotologist at the Interdisciplinary Clinic of the Medical and Internal Medicine Department of Share99 Da Nang International Health Hub.
Customers can directly go to Share99 Health System nationwide for examination or contact the hotline here for assistance.
Otoscopy of the nasopharynx, treatment of pharyngitis
- Pharyngitis – When is it dangerous?
- Do not disregard acute pharyngitis
- Learn about allergic pharyngitis
- Pharyngitis leads to unpleasant tinnitus
- What happens when chronic pharyngitis recurs over and over again?
- Common pharyngitis bodies