The article was consulted professionally by Master, Dr Trinh Thi Thanh Huyen – Obstetrics and Gynecology Department – Share99 Hai Phong International Health Hub.
The operation of uterine fibroids will depend on the degree of influence caused by the symptoms of the disease. Doctors will often choose to perform procedures for patients with fibroids who present with moderate or severe symptoms, such as pain or severe bleeding.
1. What is uterine fibroids?
Uterine fibroids, also known as tumours or myalomas, are muscle tumors that can develop on the patient's uterine wall. They rarely progress to cancer, and if the person has it, it does not mean that they are susceptible to cancer of the uterus.
Fibroids can vary greatly in size, shape and location. They can appear in the uterus, the city of the uterus or on its surface. Fibroids can also be attached to the uterus of the person with a trunk-like structure.
Some fibroids are so small that doctors cannot see them with the naked eye. Others grow into large blocks that can affect the size and shape of the uterus.
Uterine fibroids can appear in women of child's age – usually between 30 and 40 years of age, however uterine fibroids can appear at any age. They are also more common in African-American women than white women, and tend to appear earlier and grow faster in African Americans. There is currently no solution to this problem.
2. Uterine fibroids: When to have surgery?
Here are the cases of uterine fibroids that need to be performed surgery for uterine fibroids, including:
- Causing blockage of tumors: During this procedure, the doctor will cut off the blood supply to the fibroid so that it shrinks and dies through the radio frequency. This method is suitable for the treatment of small fibroids. Fibroids can cause scarring or infection in the uterus, even affecting the fertility of the person. Therefore, if you want to get pregnant, you should consult your doctor to consider the risks and benefits.
- Uterine artery embolism: If fibroids cause problems such as severe or painful bleeding, the doctor may prescribe this procedure to shrink the fibroid and alleviate some of the symptoms of the disease. The doctor will insert a thin tube, called a cathetic, into the aortic uterus. After that, a substance will be injected to cut off the blood supply for fibroids. This technique will shrink or destroy them and allow the patient's uterus to reduce its overall size. The person may need a sedative when performing this procedure, so you can stay awake but still feel drowsy. The patient may feel discomfort when the doctor puts a cathe tube. Patients only need to stay in the hospital for about 1 day after this procedure. Many cases have cramps after the procedure, so the doctor may prescribe certain medications to alleviate discomfort. In some cases, fibroids may develop again after this procedure.
- Endometrial dissection: This method is in order when the fibroid is not too large but causes severe effects on the patient, the patient may need to have endometrial removal. Fibroids can remove or destroy the lining of the uterus of the person. This method of surgery is carried out through a laparoscopy of the uterus. Endometrial dissection can be carried out in various ways, such as with lasers, currents,…. Treatment with this method should only be chosen if you do not want to become pregnant.
- In case the patient wants to become pregnant in the future, the doctor may recommend that the patient perform surgery to remove the uterine fibroid if the tumor is large in size and affects the uterus of the patient. This surgery removes fibroids but leave healthy tissue of the uterus. Depending on the number of fibroids, size and location, the doctor will decide how to perform uterine fibroid surgery.
In order to help customers detect and treat other gynecologic diseases early, Share99 International Health Hub has a basic gynecologicexamination and screening package, helping customers detect inflammatory diseases early, making treatment easy and inexpensive. Screening for early detection of gynecologic cancer (Cervical cancer) even if there are no symptoms.
The basic gynecology examination and screening package for female clients, with no age limit and possible symptoms as follows:
- Abnormal bleeding of the vaginal area
- Menstrual problems: abnormally long cycles, irregular menstruation
- Abnormal vaginal translation (bad smell, unusual color)
- Pain, itching of the closed area
- Female customers have a few risk factors such as bad personal hygiene, unsafe sex, abortion,…
- Female customers have other symptoms such as abnormal vaginal discharge, itching, pain in the closed area, abnormal vaginal bleeding.
Master. Dr. Trinh Thi Thanh Huyen is highly trained in obstetric ultrasound, laparoscopic surgery and endoscopy at the National Health Hub of Obstetrics and Gynecology and has more than 13 years of experience working at Hai Phong Obstetrics and Gynecology Health Hub.
Currently, the doctor is a doctor of obstetrics and gynecology at Share99 Hai Phong International Health Hub
To register for examination and treatment at Share99 International Health Hub, you can contact Share99 Health System nationwide, or register for an online examination HERE
- Is it possible to become pregnant after endometrial removal?
- Total uterine cirrhosis treatment of uterine fibroids: How long will it take to recover?
- Things you may not know about the uterus
- Uterine fibroids: When to peel the fibroid, when to cut the uterus?
- Who is at risk for uterine fibroids?
- Is uterine fibroids at risk of turning into cancer?