The article was consulted professionally by Specialist Doctor II Pham Thi Xuan Minh – Obstetrics and Gynecology Department – Share99 Hai Phong International Health Hub.
During pregnancy, some pregnant mothers are confused between amniotic fluid and vaginal fluid. Distinguishing these two phenomena is extremely important, mothers need to know to be able to take better care of themselves, easily detect abnormalities of the body as well as ensure a healthy pregnancy, the fetus is best developed.
1. What is amniotic fluid?
To be able to distinguish amniotic fluid and vaginal fluid, we first need to know what amniotic fluid and vaginal fluid are.
Amniotic fluid is a nutrient environment created from the placenta, amniotic membrane and the mother's 3rd cycle during the first 03 months of pregnancy. Amniotic fluid is a colorless liquid that surrounds the baby in an amniotic sac. It's like a smooth baby water cushion. The amniotic membrane helps protect the fetus from the penetration of germs from the outside. Amniotic fluid also helps internal organs such as the baby's lungs and kidneys to develop completely.
In the first tri tri tri month of pregnancy, the baby will swallow amniotic fluid, when it enters the body it will be filtered through the kidneys then the fetus will excrete as urine. The fetus also eliminates some fluid from the lungs. Any excess fluid that appears will also be absorbed through the amniotic sac or umbilical cord in order to maintain an ideal balance of fluid for the baby to grow.
2. What is vaginal translation?
Vaginal secrety is the vaginal secrety of a woman after puberty. Normal vaginal discharge has the characteristic that it is in small quantities, sticky, clear or opaque like a lake, without smell, has a cleansing effect, moisturizes the vagina and fights infections.
Vaginal translation may be more before the date of ovulation or before menstruation: the gas spoils as much at some point in the cycle as before menstruation or before ovulation is the normal biological reaction of the body.
If the vaginal translation is numerous and yellow or blue, smells, comes out a lot continuously, sometimes causing vaginal itching, pert dermatitis is a manifestation of pathology such as vaginal fungal infections, cervical glandinflammation, cervical ,.. This can occur even during pregnancy, causing pregnant dogs not to know if the discharge is vaginal discharge or amniotic fluid leakage.
3. How to distinguish amniotic fluid leakage and vaginal fluid
During pregnancy, pregnant women can feel everything is leaking. As the bladder quickly fills up, pregnant women may have a little urine. In addition, in the last months of pregnancy, layers of vaginal tissue will also gradually produce more translation to help help babies be born easily and conveniently. Therefore, to determine whether the discharge from the vagina is vaginal fluid or amniotic fluid leakage is really difficult for many pregnant women.
Some characteristics of identifying amniotic fluid leakage:
- The discharge is white in or with mucus or blood.
- Odorless amniotic fluid
- Amniotic fluid leakage will usually wet the underpants.
Vaginal translation will have the following recognizable characteristics:
- Vaginal discharge is usually opaque white or yellow or blue.
- It may smell like a fishy smell.
- Vaginal discharge can also wet the underpants.
Thus during pregnancy, if the pregnant mother sees fluid coming out of the vagina, it is not certain that it is an amniotic fluid leak but can be vaginal discharge. If mothers are unsure of their ability to distinguish themselves, feel anxious, go to medical facilities, hospitals with obstetrics and gynecology departments for timely examination and consultation.
4. Potential risk of amniotic fluid leakage and vaginal discharge during pregnancy
Amniotic fluid or negative fluid during pregnancy are of interest because they pose potential risks to the health and development of the fetus.
4.1. Potential risk of amniotic fluid leakage
Amniotic leakage can lead to dangers for both the pregnant mother and the fetus at any time during pregnancy. If there is only a small amount of amniotic fluid leakage, it can still be controlled. But if the amniotic fluid leaks out in large quantities can be dangerous for the fetus.
Amniotic fluid leakage that occurs in the first or middle 3 months of pregnancy can cause the following dangerous complications:
- Causes a miscarriage.
- Causes premature birth.
- Can cause birth defects.
- May cause still still pregnancy.
In the last 3 months of pregnancy, if the amniotic fluid leak causes too little amniotic fluid remaining, it can lead to the following risks:
- Makes childbirth difficult.
- The risk of cesarean section is higher.
- The fetus may suffer from developmental delays.
Amniotic fluid leaking with unusual characteristics can warn of the following signs of danger that the pregnant mother should note:
- The leaking amniotic fluid is reddish-brown: this may be a sign that the fetus is in danger inside the womb, the pregnant mother needs an emergency immediately.
- The leaking amniotic fluid is opaque blue, smelling bad: pregnant women need to immediately go to a medical facility for examination and treatment. Because this may be a sign of amniotic fluid infection, the fetus is at risk of infection in this case.
- The amniotic fluid is dark yellow: this is a warning sign that the pregnant woman is having chronic heart failure, so an early examination is required to prevent chronic pregnancy failure during labor.
- The leaking amniotic fluid is mossy green: this is a sign that the pregnant mother has ever suffered from pregnancy failure. Therefore, pregnant women should go to the doctor to be monitored by specialists, because the condition can be repeated.
- The leaking amniotic fluid is yellow: this is a sign that the fetus is developing slowly or that the mother is having anemia during pregnancy.
- The leaking amniotic fluid is light brown or pink: this is one of the signs of labor, the pregnant woman should be taken to a medical facility with an obstetrics and gynecology department immediately because the amniotic fluid can break off at any time.
4.2. Moisture potential during vaginal discharge during pregnancy
Due to the action of hormones, pregnant women's vaginal discharge during pregnancy tends to be secreted more, sticky and mucus-like. Most cases of multiple vaginal services are normal and nothing to worry about. However, if the discharge has a different color, has an abnormal smell or causes itching of the closed area and irritation, it is possible that the pregnant woman's private area is inflamed.
- Yeast vatis: this condition is not too serious but pregnant women should go to the gynecological examination and treatment to ensure the safety of themselves and the fetus.
- Bacterial vagosis: this condition threatens the life of the fetus, the infection can spread to the area of the uterus causing premature amniotic rupture, causing premature birth.
Therefore, when there are abnormal signs, there is discharge from the vagina whether it is amniotic fluid or vaginal fluid, the pregnant mother should go to the doctor to be examined by specialists, give specific instructions to ensure the safety of herself and the fetus.
Dr. Pham Thi Xuan Minh has 30 years of experience in examination and treatment in the field of Obstetrics and Gynecology, especially in the field of Obstetrics and Gynecology, specializing in handling many serious and difficult surgeries.
Customers can directly go to Share99 Health System nationwide for examination or contact the hotline here for assistance.
- Symptoms of pelvic inflammation
- 21 unpleasant symptoms during pregnancy: Causes and how to fix it
- Pelvic inflammation: How to treat?