The article was consulted professionally by Specialist I Nguyen Thi Plum – Obstetrics and Gynecology Department – Share99 Da Nang International Health Hub. The doctor has more than 10 years of experience in the diagnosis, consultation and treatment in the field of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
HCG is an important hormone that is secreted when a woman is pregnant. HCG concentrations are not fixed but there is a huge change in pregnancy. HCG is produced by the culture cells of the placenta, which play an important role in the nourishment and protection of the fetus.
1. What is hCG hormone?
hCG (short for Human Chorionic Gonadotropin) is a hormone produced very early in pregnancy, as soon as fertilized eggs transfer from the proboscis into nesting in the lining of the uterus. hCG is produced by the culture cells of the placenta, which play an important role in the nourishment and protection of the pregnancy:
- hCG helps maintain the body, helping the crown to continue producing the hormones estrogen and progesterol during the first 4 months of pregnancy. The hormone progesterol helps maintain the lining of the uterus so that the embryo develops. If hCG levels are low, the luteal is impaired, the hormone progesterol decreases will cause the lining of the uterus to peel off, leading to menstruation, which can lead to a risk of pregnancy.
- hCG helps stimulate fetal testosterol production, helps shape fetal sex,
- hCG enhances corticosteroid production and inhibits the mupoid's lymphocyte response, thereby reducing the immune responses of the mother's body, reducing the mother's response to pregnancy, helping to protect the pregnancy.
HCG is essentially a glycoprotein, consisting of two sub-units, alpha and beta. Since the amino acid order of the alpha sub-unit coincides with some sedentn hormone, the thyroid gland, only the beta sub-unit is characteristic of the hCG hormone. Beta hCG can be detected in serum or urine pregnant women after about 8-9 days after ovulation.
2. HCG concentration changes with gestational age
In the early stages of pregnancy, hCG is produced in very large concentrations, usually the hCG concentration will double every 48-72 hours. HCG levels in the blood will peak between weeks 8-11 of pregnancy, which will then tend to stabilize and decrease. hCG causes pregnancy symptoms such as dizziness, nausea, sensitivity,… Therefore, in the early stages, hCG hormone levels are high so that the symptoms of pregnancy are usually heavier than the later stages of pregnancy.
HCG beta concentrations are calculated in units of mUI/ml. For non-pregnant women with a beta hCG concentration below 5mUI/ml, pregnant women with a beta hCG concentration of over 25 mUI/ml. If the hCG concentration is between 6-24 mUI/ml, it should be checked and monitored further to determine whether or not she is pregnant.
In detail about the development of the fetus week by week, every parent should find out:
3. How much hCG is the 2-line test stick?
Beta hCG is used to diagnose pregnancy during menstruation delays . Pregnancy test sticks are testing instruments to detect the presence of hCG beta. Pregnancy test sticks on the market today usually have a sensitivity of 20-25 mUI / ml, so pregnant women and hCG concentrations exceed the above level, the test stick will appear two lines. If the test stick appears a line, it is not pregnant or pregnant but the hCG concentration has not reached the level for the test stick to detect.
HCG beta levels will vary throughout pregnancy, you can refer to beta hcg levels according to gestational age according to the table below:
The hCG beta-level dosing test helps to monitor pregnancy status, if the results of beta hCG levels by gestational age are high or too low, there may be abnormalities in pregnancy. Low hCG levels can be caused by miscarriage, ovulation or an intra-uterus pregnancy. High hCG levels can be caused by multiple pregnancies, placenta diseases, or Down syndrome when ap levels in the blood decrease.
However, pregnant women do not need to worry too much about hCG levels because the statistics on hCG levels according to the above gestational age are only relative. According to the above data table, the 4-week beta hcg index is from 5-426 mUI /ml, the lowest and highest index has a huge difference. Many pregnancies have low levels of hCG beta but the fetus remains healthy. So it does not matter if the hCG concentration at each time is low or high, but mainly the increase in hCG concentration follows the laws of the biomedy from time to time. If in the first 3 months the pregnant woman has a low hCG concentration, which should be monitored for 48-72 hours, does the hCG concentration increase. Pregnant women with abnormal hCG levels should be examined and monitored by their doctor for timely treatment.
The first 3 months are the most sensitive time during pregnancy. In order for the mother and baby to be healthy, parents should note:
- Understand early signs of pregnancy, pregnancy poisoning, bleeding during pregnancy.
- The first pregnancy examination is timely, correct and sufficient, avoiding the examination too early / too late.
- Screening for fetal malformations at the 12th week detects dangerous fetal malformations that can intervene early.
- Distinguishes the usual vaginal bleeding and pathology vaginal bleeding for timely pregnancy retention intervention.
- Screening for thyroid disease in the first 3 months of pregnancy avoids dangerous risks before and during childbirth.
Share99 currently has many maternity packages (12-27-36 weeks), of which the 12-week package maternity program helps monitor the health of mothers and babies at the beginning of pregnancy, early detection and timely intervention of health problems. In addition to the usual services, the 12-week maternity monitoring program has special services that other maternity packages do not have such as: Double Test or Triple Test for Fetal Malformations; dosing tests of neovascular factors for pre-seizure diagnosis; thyroid screening tests; Rubella test; testing for parasites transmitted from mother to child seriously affects the brain and physical development of the baby after birth.
For direct advice, please click hotline number or register online HERE. In addition, you can register for remote consultation HERE
How to calculate the age of artificial inse fertilization
- What causes down disease in the fetus?
- Is it dangerous to have an ovarian tumor during pregnancy?
- Should lupus erythe erythem patients become pregnant and give birth?