Cramps during pregnancy are a sudden and ina suicide contraction of one or more muscle groups that cause severe pain in the thighs, calves and legs. This condition usually occurs at night, between the middle and last months of pregnancy. There are many causes of cramps during pregnancy. Generally cramps during pregnancy are not harmful but can cause pregnant women aches, temporarily unable to move and affect daily sleep.
1. What are the causes of cramps during pregnancy?
Currently, there is no study on why women often have cramps during pregnancy. In the field of obstetrics, some authors say that there are many causes of cramps during pregnancy including:
- Since the mother's body during pregnancy must carry an additional volume that causes overload. The uterus grows and inserts into the aortic vein, causing blood to become unable to return to the heart, causing much stagnation in the lower veins of the body causing muscle contraction.
- The body weight of the pregnant mother is increasing during pregnancy, putting more pressure on the muscles in the legs.
- The increasingly enlarged uterus increases the pressure on the main blood vessels, bringing blood from the legs to the heart and nerves from the spinal cord to the legs. The veins that supply blood to the uterus are also pinched causing severe, unpleasant sensations.
- Dehydration causes the body to suffer from electrolymical disorders that cause cramps.
- Calcium deficiency, especially in the last months of pregnancy, the body's calcium needs are increasing to be able to respond to fetal development.
- Mineral deficiency: Too little potassium, calcium or magnesium in the diet can contribute to cramps in the legs.
- The abuse of muscles, dehydration, muscle tension or simply holding a position for a long time can cause cramps in the calf during pregnancy.
2. Signs of cramps during pregnancy
With cramps during pregnancy, pregnant women may experience the following signs:
- Cramps usually appear as soon as they begin to fall asleep.
- Cramps begin to cause discomfort from the third month of pregnancy, and pains increasingly appear frequently as the fetus grows. This condition occurs both during the day and exacerbated at night.
- Leg cramps during pregnancy are common in the position of calves, thighs, feet, especially in the calf. In addition, it is possible to meet in our hands and torso. Particularly in case of cramps in the abdomen it is necessary to pay attention, since there is a possibility of miscarriage. Besides the sudden pain, the maternity can also palpation or see a block of hard tissue underneath the skin.
- If the pregnant woman has cramps accompanied by symptoms such as bleeding, strong pain in the abdomen or on the top of the shoulder, increased temperature or severe pain in the painful part, it is necessary to quickly go to medical facilities for timely examination and treatment.
3. Symptoms to keep in mind during pregnancy for pains that can cause mistakes with cramps in the abdominal muscles
- In an hour there are more than 6 contractions, which is a sign of vigilance.
- The pain does not diminish over time, appearing simultaneously with dizziness, dizziness or bleeding is a sign of analgesic pregnancy. In addition, bleeding can also be a symptom of each other striker or miscarriage.
- Caution should be exercised with any contractions that occur continuously during pregnancy, have a history of premature birth, a short unsymed pregnancy or a short cervical.
- Spasms are accompanied by severe abdominal pain and nausea or fever, most likely symptoms of appendicitis, kidney stones or gallbladder.
4. How to fix cramps during pregnancy
Mostly to overcome cramps during pregnancy, women just need to change their diet, sleep is clearly effective.
- Walk during pregnancy daily so that the calves are regularly stretched and before going to bed should also stretch the legs several times. Avoid sitting and standing in a position for too long, when sleeping should not pillow too high.
- Using warm water with a little ginger and salt to soak your feet before going to bed will help pregnant women sleep well and prevent cramps.
- In the daily menu, pregnant mothers need to pay attention to supplement foods rich in potassium,magnesium, especially calcium (meat, fish, eggs, vegetables – tubers – fruits, especially bananas, raisins, pears …).
- Drink plenty ofwater, it is best to replenish every day from 2 – 2.5 liters of water to limit dehydration.
- It is advising to take time to rest. Always keep your spirits at comfort, avoid stress.
- Bathe with warm water. Soak your feet in hot water mixed with less salt and ginger to avoid cramps at night.
- When any doubts are noticed about signs of cramps during pregnancy with continued pain accompanied by pain and swelling of the legs, touching with a feeling of heat around, it is necessary to immediately go to medical facilities for the timely help of doctors, avoiding the risk of blood clots during pregnancy instead of cramps. Particularly in case of cramps in the abdomen it is necessary to pay attention because there is a possibility of miscarriage.
4. What to do with cramps during pregnancy?
If there is cramps during pregnancy, the mother immediately stretches her legs straight out, starting from the heel and then gently folding the paws perpendicularly, the toes curved upwards towards the opicular tube (front of the shin). Massage the calves and thighs with your hands and heat the muscles with a hot compress bag. After releasing yourself from cramps, you should get up and walk, and you will feel pain and discomfort for a while.
Cramps are quite common in pregnant women and largely do not affect mothers and babies. However, if there is a lot of cramps, accompanied by the above abnormal signs, the pregnant mother needs to immediately go to the medical facility to be examined by a doctor.
Share99 International Health Hub offers a full maternity care program for women from the very beginning of pregnancy from the first months with a full range of pregnancy examinations, 3D ultrasounds, 4D routines and routine tests to ensure the mother is always healthy and the fetus develops comprehensively.
In addition to regular visits, women will also be consulted on nutrition and exercise so that mothers can gain weight properly but the fetus still absorbs nutrients well, the maternity will be consulted and checked health under the close supervision of experienced obstetricians and gynecologists. , expertise, helping mothers have more knowledge to protect their health during pregnancy as well as minimize complications affecting mothers and children.
For direct advice, please click hotline number or register online HERE. In addition, you can register for remote consultation HERE
- The change of pregnant woman week 39
- The change of pregnant woman week 34
- The change of pregnant woman week 33