The article was consulted professionally by Specialist I Pham Thi Yen – Obstetrician and Gynecologist – Share99 Hai Phong International Health Hub.
Undergoing a dangerous and difficult process of "overtaking", the female body will become extremely sensitive and stressed. For cesarean section, the most important thing is how to limit the risk of damage as well as infection at the incision. Therefore, bathing after cesarean section is controversial.
1. Some benefits from bathing after cesarean section
Bathing after cesarean section is encouraged by many doctors because it gives the mother a lot of physical to mental benefits, namely:
- Help you feel clean, contribute to your mental and energy recovery to take care of your child.
- Warm water during bathing can stimulate blood circulation in the mother's body.
- Can relieve stress, soothe pain and discomfort.
- Most often, the body tends to become tired, sore due to injuries during pregnancy. Bathing can help relax these sensations.
- Bathing will also clean the wound and limit the risk of infection of the wound from the outside.
- The body needs to be cleaned, especially 2 milk pregnant because the baby needs to breastfeed in the early hours after birth.
- Alleviate post-birth chest pains in women.
2. Some attention on post-cesarean cleaning
Cesarean section in the mother is completely different from normalbirth , since the mother has had to undergo a major surgery. Besides, the condition of the incision may vary from subject to subject.
To ensure the recovery process, in the first days after birth, the mother should rest in place completely in bed. However, it is still necessary to keep the body clean by drying people, changing clothes daily.
About 2-3 days later, the mother should start moving and walking gradually in close range. This is good for recovery. Also during this period, post-cesarean bathing will be recommended by doctors. Wash your hair and other personal hygiene activities such as brushing your teeth, washing your face… there is no need to limit. However, when bathing, attention should be paid to:
- Use a gentle shower with warm water, take a quick shower with soap.
- Do not rub into the incision.
- After bathing, it is necessary to dry the person (especially the incision area) with a soft, clean cotton towel.
For incisions, it is absolutely not recommended to apply any cream until the incision heals completely. Most often, the recovery period lasts about 3 weeks. During this time, pay attention to always keep the area around the incision and the incision clean, dry.
3. Things to remember to ensure safety in post-birth baths
Bathing after cesarean section can pose some risks to the mother in the first place. So, as a precaution, you should:
- Do not wash yourself without asking a doctor (in the first few days).
- When the wound is infected, bathing should be limited.
- Make sure the bath water is neither too hot nor too cold. If the temperature of the water exceeds the mother's strength, the mother will have a feeling of dizziness, which also comes in part from post-birth blood loss.
- Use slippers with good grip in the toilet to avoid falls.
- In the first post-birth baths can cause vaginal secrety. This is normal and you don't need to worry too much.
4. Other issues related to post-cesarean hygiene
After the birth of the baby, whether cesarean section or normal birth, mothers will appear epidemic (similar to menstruation). This comes from the cause of detachment of the endometrial layer.
Initially, the product will be bright red and come out a lot. The amount of blood will gradually decrease with a brighter color (bright red, pinkish red, yellow, white …). The outbreak can last about 6 weeks. Therefore, you should use a tampon pad (tampon) to absorb the above amount of output. To avoid vaginal infection problems, urinary tract infections…, it is necessary to change the dressing regularly every 2-4 hours.
4.2. Hygiene problems
The urination and urination during this time also need to be paid attention as follows:
- After diarrhea/urination… mother needs to wash with warm water and dry with a soft towel or baby wipe. Never use toilet paper.
- Take stool softeners and drink plenty of water to prevent constipation, avoiding the effects of wounds when going to the media.
In addition, eat a lot of fiber to help the body laxative, avoid post-birth constipation.
5. Take care of post-birth mother with package maternity package at Share99
In the case of cesarean section, the state of health of the maternity may be different, so the care of the mother after cesarean section with the support of experienced doctors is necessary.
When participating in Share99 maternity package, mothers and babies will be rested in the same well-equipped hospital room as international hotel rooms. Along with that, mothers and babies will also be cared for by a team of doctors and nurses at Share99. In addition, the baby will be injectedwith Vitamin K, perform newborn screenings and assess the state of full health after birth.
Dr Pham Thi Yen has 11 years of experience in examination and treatment in the field of Obstetrics and Gynecology. Doctors with strengths and insights in:
- Examination and consultation of common pregnancies, pathology pregnancies, high-risk pregnancies
- Examination and treatment of gynecologic diseases: cervical inflammation, cervical glands
- Laparoscopic surgery of gynecological diseases : extra-uterine pregnancy, uterine tumor , ovarian tumor
- Surgery for breast tumors, vaginal, cervical tumors
- Obstetric surgery : pregnancy surgery, examination
- Treatment of female endormonal disorders of all ages: puberty, reproduction age; pre-menopause.
See more details about the benefits of pregnant mothers in the package maternity care program at Share99 International Health Hub.
For direct advice, please click hotline number or register online HERE. In addition, you can register for remote consultation HERE
Source: parenting.firstcry.com, medlineplus.gov
- What to know about cesarean section
- Proper understanding of pain relief and post-cesarean care
- Proper diet and nutrition after cesarean section