The article was consulted professionally by Specialist Doctor II Pham Thi Xuan Minh, Head of Obstetrics and Gynecology Department, Obstetrics and Gynecology Department – Share99 Hai Phong International Health Hub.
The amount of amniotic fluid will increase with the week of age and until the 36th week, the standard amount of amniotic fluid in the pregnant woman's abdomen is about 1000ml, and then gradually decreases within the normal limit until birth. But in some cases, the amount of amniotic fluid in the mother's abdomen can be increased by 2 to 3 times more than normal, which can endanger the health of both the mother and the fetus.
1. What is amniotic fluid residual phenomena?
Amniotic fluid is the fluid that surrounds the fetus after the first few weeks of pregnancy. It plays a role in regenerating energy, providing nutrients to the fetus, protecting the fetus from injuries while in the womb such as avoiding excessive compression caused by the mother's muscles and especially it has antibacterial properties that help the fetus avoid bacterial penetration.
The normal amount of amniotic fluid in pregnancy by week of age is as follows:
- Fetuses from 16 to 32 weeks of age have an amniotic fluid volume of about 250 -600ml.
- This amount of amniotic fluid will gradually increase with the fetal age and by the 34th week will be 800ml, when the fetus reaches 36 weeks of age, the amount of amniotic fluid can be up to 1000ml.
- In the next weeks of pregnancy until the mother gives birth, the amount of amniotic fluid will decrease to a normal level of 600 – 800ml.
When the amount of amniotic fluid surrounding the fetus exceeds normal levels, it is called amniotic fluid residues during pregnancy. This phenomenon of amniotic fluid is often rare and very difficult to detect for mild cases, it occurs only in 1% of mothers during pregnancy. In case of severe amniotic fluid residue it can be dangerous for both the mother and the fetus.
2. Causes of amniotic fluid residues
There are many causes of amniotic fluid residue during pregnancy, common causes include:
- Pregnant women with diabetes mellitus: Up to 10% of women with gestational diabetes have amniotic fluid during pregnancy. To reduce this amount of amniotic fluid, mothers need to have good control over their blood glucose levels.
- Multi-pregnancy: Mothers born in twins, triple ,… the likelihood of amniotic fluid is very high because the metabolism between the fetuses is not balanced, that is, one child may have a lot of amniotic fluid while the other has very little amniotic fluid.
- Children with congenital malformations or abnormal phenomena in the womb: When the child has congenital malformations or has problems such as cleft lip, narrowing of the taste, hydrocephalus,… there is a very high likelihood that the child will stop swallowing amniotic fluid while the child's kidneys continue to excrete urine. This leads to amniotic fluid residues during pregnancy in the mother.
- In addition, this phenomenon of amniotic fluid is also caused by fetal infections, blood type disagreements between the mother and the baby,…
3. Is there any residual amniotic fluid?
Some cases of amniotic fluid during pregnancy may not cause any problems. However, severe cases of amniotic fluid can cause premature amniotic rupture leading to earlier birth than expected, affecting the growth of the child, which can even cause bone malformations at birth. In addition, excess amniotic fluid during pregnancy can lead to the risk of still still life and post-birth hemorrhage.
Amniotic fluid residual phenomenon consists of 2 types:
- Amniotic fluidsupply : Usually occurs at the 16th – 20th week of pregnancy, it causes early, severe labor that can cause miscarriage or cause severe symptoms that lead to the termination of the pregnancy.
- Chronic amniotic fluid: This phenomenon usually occurs at the end of pregnancy and accounts for up to 95% of amniotic residues. Pregnant women with chronic amniotic fluid are usually painless and have difficulty breathing as much as multi-amniotic fluid, when the last 3 months of pregnancy, women will feel heavy abdomen, shortness of breath, heart beating. For fetuses that may have congenital organ defects due to excessive amniotic fluid, the weight of a child with an amniotic fluid is lighter than that of other children.
4. How to treat amniotic residue during pregnancy
When there is an excess of amnioticfluid during pregnancy, depending on the degree of mild weight, there are different treatments. In case of mild amniotic fluid, the doctor will give the pregnant woman to use weeds to remove the amount of amniotic fluid. In case of severe amniotic fluid, the doctor will carefully monitor the amount of amniotic fluid of the pregnant woman, if the pregnancy increases too quickly, the pregnant woman may have to have surgery, amniotic puncture to remove the amount of amniotic fluid surrounding the fetus.
In some cases, to overcome this phenomenon, the doctor may give the mother medications that reduce amniotic production, however this method is used only when the fetus is less than 32 weeks old because from 32 weeks of age 100 years of age, when using this drug for pregnant women can cause many dangerous complications. If the pregnant woman is diagnosed as an amniotic fluid during pregnancy, mild or severe, pregnant women also need to pay attention to their diet, nutrition and lifestyle habits:
- Ensuring the amount of protein and protein in the daily diet, it is recommended to prioritize the addition of foods such as seafood, animal meat,…
- It is advisable to eat a lot of greens but to limit the vegetables that contain a lot of water and it is not recommended to prepare them in the form of soups or soups.
- Limit eating succulent fruits such as oranges, grapefruits, watermelons … Replaced with other fruits high in fiber and vitamins such as apples, pears, bananas, papaya,…
- It is necessary to have a reasonable working and resting regime.
5. Should an amniotic fluid drink plenty of water
Amniotic fluid is the fluid transferred from the 3dial system of the mother's body into the amniotic sac. Therefore, eating too much fluid can make amniotic fluid residues in the mother more serious.
Therefore, when a pregnant woman is diagnosed with amniotic fluid, it is not recommended to drink too much water during pregnancy. However, a certain amount of water must still be replenished to ensure the amount of amniotic fluid required for fetal development.
It is advisable to drink enough water about 1.5 to 2 liters of water per day, absolutely do not eat salty because salt is capable of retaining water in the body. When suspecting that she has an amniotic fluid during pregnancy, the mother needs to immediately go to the medical facilities to be consulted, diagnosed and treated by specialists in a timely manner, avoiding pre-contraction that affects the health and development of the fetus.
Amniotic residues are a rare condition and pose a danger to the fetus. However, in case the pregnant woman has an amniotic fluid, it is possible to control the situation and help the amniotic fluid index return to normal if there is regular examination during pregnancy and a healthy diet and nutrition. In particular, if the amniotic fluid is too complicated and the fetus has enough weeks of birth, it is possible to be stimulated to give birth prematurely without waiting for labor.
Amniotic residue usually occurs at the 3-month period between pregnancy, in addition to amniotic fluid, pregnant women also often experience gestational diabetes, signs of premature birth…. Therefore, to ensure the health of the pregnant woman and the fetus, at this stage the pregnant woman needs:
- Comprehensive fetal malformations screening using superior 4D ultrasound techniques.
- Screening for gestational diabetes, avoiding causing many dangerous complications for both mother and baby.
- Control the mother's weight appropriately to assess the state of health of the pregnant woman and the development of the fetus.
- Understand the signs of premature birth (especially in people with multiple pregnancies or a history of miscarriage, premature birth) for timely pregnancy therapy.
To protect mothers and babies during pregnancy, Share99 provides a full maternity service to help monitor the health status of mothers and babies comprehensively, regular pregnancy examinations with leading obstetrician and gynecologist, complete tests, important screenings for obstetrics and gynecology, timely consultation and intervention when detecting abnormalities in the health of mothers and babies.
For direct advice, please click hotline number or register online HERE. In addition, you can register for remote consultation HERE
Để được bác sĩ gọi điện tư vấn miễn phí về xét nghiệm, hãy để lại thông tin của bạn vào form dưới đây:
Nơi sinh sống
Hồ Chí Minh
Ho Chi Minh City
- Should aspirin be given during pregnancy?
- How is multi-pregnancy reduction in in vis tube fertilization performed?
- Pregnancy after the age of 35: How to make the mother healthy, healthy baby?