The article was consulted professionally by Master, Dr Huynh Bao Toan – Department of Pediatrics – Newborn – Share99 Nha Trang International Health Hub.
In order to maintain the quality of breast milk squeezed out and ensure the safety of the health of the baby, nursing mothers as well as baby caregivers should adhere to the scientific way of storing breast milk, recommended by nutritionists.
1. How to store breast milk safely
1.1. Before breastfeeding
Hygiene factors are very focused not only when storing and storing breast milk, but also from the initial milking or pumping step. The mother should be aware of the following before milking:
- Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water, or use an antiseptic hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol;
- It is possible to milk the mother by hand, with a hand pump or an electric suction machine;
- If using a pump, it is necessary to check the pump kits and duc duc ducs to ensure hygiene. Dispose of and replace immediately if the tubes are moldy or not cleaned;
- Wipe buttons, power switches, and pump surfaces with a towel that permeates the detergent solution.
1.2. Storage of breast milk after squeezing
Choose the appropriate bottle or milk bag:
- Use a dedicated breast milk storage plastic bag or a clean container with a tight lid made of glass or plastic to store breast milk squeezed out. Mothers can buy these items in a reputable supermarket or pharmacy;
- Avoid plastic bottles with recycling sign No. 7 as this material can be made of plastic containing BPA;
- Do not store breast milk in disposable bottles or regular plastic bags, not exclusively for containing breast milk.
Storage time for breast milk:
- At room temperature: For up to 4 hours;
- In the refrigerator: Up to 4 days;
- In the freezer: It is best to be about 6 months, but also storeable for a period of up to 12 months.
1.3. Tips for storing and storing breast milk
- Specify the date of milking on the label and put it in the container, adding the baby's name if delivering milk to the child care facility.
- Do not store breast milk in the refrigerator or freezer door as the temperature will change when the door is closed and opened. It is recommended to place in the coldest place in the milk storage cabinet and limit movement, arrange unless taken out for use.
- If it is determined that the newly squeezed portion of breast milk will not be used within the next 4 days, it is necessary to immediately refrigerate to help protect the quality of the milk.
- Store breast milk only in small quantities in each jar, about 60-120ml equivalent to the number of babies that will feed in each breast to avoid wasting it all. Besides, storing with small volume also helps milk to quickly frozen and shorten the time of breast milk defrosting.
- When freezing breast milk, it is necessary to leave a space, do not fill the container because the milk hatches when freezing.
- If traveling, breast milk can be stored and stored in an insulation container along with ice bags for up to 24 hours. When arriving, it is recommended to use milk immediately or put it in a cold milk storage cabinet.
2. Instructions for safe breastfeeding
- Adhere to the principle of first in, first out: Always defrost before the bottle with the longest milking date in the label because over time the quality of breast milk may decrease;
- How to defrost breast milk: Leave the bottle in the refrigerator overnight, if it is necessary to defrost quickly, put it in a pot containing warm water or under running warm water;
- Do not defrost or heat breast milk in the microwave: High temperatures and microwaves can destroy the nutrients, enzymes and immune antibodies of breast milk, in addition to burning the baby's mouth due to unevenly hot and cold parts;
- Use breast milk within 24 hours after defrosting in the refrigerator: The time is calculated since the milk has completely dissolved, not from the moment the bottle is removed from the milk cabinet;
- When defrosted breast milk returns to room temperature or is warmed after storage time, it is recommended to use it within 2 hours. Do not store breast milk again after defrosting.
In addition, after the period of storage of breast milk in the milk storage cabinet may appear the phenomenon of layer separation, it is recommended to gently shake the bottle to mix the fat cream well. If the baby does not feed all the bottle, the rest can still be used within the next 2 hours, after this time it should be removed.
3. How to reheat breast milk?
In fact, breast milk does not need to be reheated because it is possible to feed the baby at room temperature or colder. If deciding to reheat breastmilk , it is advisable to consult some of the following tips:
- Always keep the container closed while reheating;
- Warm the breast milk by placing the container in a pot of warm water or for warm (non-hot) water to flow through the container for several minutes;
- Do not heat breast milk directly on the stove or in the microwave;
- Check the temperature of breast milk before breastfeeding by dripping a few drops on the wrist. Proper warmth is equivalent to body temperature.
Various factors, such as milk volume, room temperature, adjusted temperature in the milk cabinet and cleanliness of the environment, can safely affect the storage time of breast milk. Although freezing can keep food safe when used for a very long time, compliance with the recommended deadline and storage of breast milk is critical to ensuring the best quality milk for the baby.
As a key area of Share99 Health System, Pediatrics always brings satisfaction to customers and is highly appreciated by industry experts with:
- Gathering a team of leading doctors in Pediatrics:including leading experts, highly specialized (professors, associate professors, doctors, masters), experienced, used to work at large hospitals such as Bach Mai, 108.. The doctors are well-trained, professional, mind-centered, knowledgeable about the child's psychology. In addition to domestic pediatricians, pediatrics also has the participation of foreign experts (Japan, Singapore, Australia, USA) always pioneering the application of the latest and most effective treatment regimens.
- Comprehensive services:In the field of Pediatrics, Share99 provides a chain of continuous medical examination and treatment services from Newborn to Pediatrics and Vaccines,… according to international standards to take care of your baby's health with parents from birth to adulthood
- Intensive techniques:Share99 has successfully implemented many specialized techniques to make the treatment of difficult diseases in Pediatrics more effective: neurosurgery – skull, hematoma stem cell transplantation in cancer treatment.
- Professional care:In addition to understanding the young psychology, Share99 also pay special attention to the children's play space, help them play comfortably and get acquainted with the hospital environment, cooperate in treatment, improve the efficiency of medical examination and treatment.
To register for examination and treatment with pediatricians at Share99 International Health Hub,please click the"Contact" button onthe website or register for an online examination HERE.
Reference source: parents.com; cdc.gov
- At what temperature should breast milk defrost?
- Instructions for proper breastfeeding
- How long is breast milk extracted from hot incubation safe?
- Instructions for deodorizing frozen breast milk
- Breast milk storage: What to do and shouldn't
- At what temperature should breast milk defrost?