The article was consulted professionally by Master, Dr Trinh Thi Thanh Huyen – Obstetrics and Gynecology Department – Share99 Hai Phong International Health Hub.
Allergic rhinitis during pregnancy not only causes discomfort to the pregnant woman, but also affects the fetus significantly. Therefore, pregnant women need to understand effective ways to treat allergic rhinitis for themselves.
1. Symptoms of allergic rhinitis during pregnancy
1.1 What is allergic rhinitis during pregnancy?
Allergic rhinitis is an inflammation of the nasal mucosa due to contact with respiratory heterogenic factors. Rhinitis during pregnancy are unpleasant symptoms that occur in the nose during pregnancy, lasting weeks without other signs of respiratory infections. This condition can disappear completely within 2 weeks after birth.
1.2 Symptoms of allergic rhinitis during pregnancy
With allergic rhinitis, the pregnant woman may appear some of the following symptoms:
- Sneezing constantly, can sneeze in a long bout or corolla wall;
- Runny nose out or down the throat, odorless nasal discharge, has a clear color;
- Itching of the nose, ears, throat, eyes or itching of the skin;
- Nasal congestion, which can choke on one or both sides;
- Red eyes, dark circles or tearing appear;
- Headache, headache;
- Snoring, having to breathe through the mouth;
- Dry cough, sore throat, cough with phlegm.
Transient allergic rhinitis in pregnant women usually does not directly affect the fetus. However, if not controlled, the disease can have an indirect effect on the fetus due to the deterioration of the mother's health due to fatigue, stress, poor sleep, sore throat, chronic rhinitis. In addition, prolonged allergic rhinitis also reduces oxygen supply during sleep, reduces the amount of oxygen supplied to the fetus, causes the fetus to be slow to develop in the uterus, the pregnant mother increases the risk of gestational hypertension and pre-production. The constant sneezing and blow-off of the pregnant woman also provokes bouts of uterus mounds. If the stimulus is too much, it will easily lead to the threat of miscarriage or premature birth.
Therefore, when there are symptoms of allergic rhinitis during pregnancy, the pregnant woman needs to inform the doctor for effective treatment.
2. Measures to relieve symptoms of allergic rhinitis during pregnancy
Some commonly used cures for rhinitis during pregnancy include: Using Western medicine, taking folk tips, and taking Traditional Medicine. Whichever method you choose, the pregnant woman should be consulted by a treating doctor.
2.1 Apply folk tips
In cases where allergic rhinitis has not changed severely, pregnant women are encouraged to apply folk therapy using natural ingredients to ensure the safety of both mother and baby. Methods include:
- Herbal use: Pregnant women can use safe herbs such as lemon basil, ginger, perilla, blueberries,… These herbs contain essential oils that help reduce the symptoms of sneezing, runny nose, nasal congestion effectively. In particular, perilla is also a safe and contraception medicine; fresh ginger helps relieve symptoms of sickness such as nausea, vomiting; Lemon basil minus phlegm, bronchial benefits, pneumococcal inhibition helps prevent and treat respiratory diseases effectively;
- Smell the onion: Onions are effective against symptoms of allergic rhinitis such as shortness of breath, sneezing, runny nose,… without causing any adverse effects on the development of the fetus;
- Massage and nasal acupressure: Helps push the amount of nasal mass outside, relieves the symptoms of nasal congestion, helps to circulation the airways for pregnant women. This method also helps to reduce pains in the nose effectively for patients with allergic rhinitis.
- Clean your nose with saline: Saline has a bactericidal, inflammatory effect, helps to eliminate bacteria, effectively cleanses the nose for pregnant women with allergic rhinitis.
- Other measures: Sauna, put a fogger to create moisture in the house, high pillows when sleeping, drink plenty of water, exercise, avoid stimulants, increase eating foods rich in vitamin C, keep your feet warm,…
2.2 Use of Western medicines
Folk methods are highly safe but are suitable only in case of mild allergic rhinitis. In case the disease has moved to a severe stage, the pregnant woman needs to apply other special treatments such as taking Western medicine. Commonly used drugs include:
- Group of antihistamines: Cetirizine, Chlorpheniramine, Tripelennamine, Lorata,…dine, This is a group of drugs that help inhibit the activity of allergens, helping to relieve the unpleasant symptoms of allergic rhinitis during pregnancy.
- Glucocorticoid nasal spray: It is a safe form of medicine for pregnant women, has a nasal congestion effect, reduces nasal congestion. However, pregnant women should only use the drug at the lowest dose.
- Sodium cromolyn nasal spray: As saline used to small or spray into the nasal cavity, it is quite safe for pregnant women with allergic rhinitis.
- Nasal cones: There are 2 forms of oral and spray form. However, pregnant women should only take the spray form and should avoid oral use.
When using western medicines, pregnant women with allergic rhinitis should follow the instructions of their doctor, do not take the drug on their own to avoid side effects that are harmful to the health of the mother and baby.
2.3 Traditional medicine
Traditional medicine is a safe solution, does not cause side effects when treating pregnant women with allergic rhinitis. According to Oriental medicine, allergic rhinitis appears due to the body being infected with welding maple, air heat, causing air scraps and gases to spoil. For the treatment of diseases, Oriental medicine uses natural herbs for maple, detoxifying, heat bar, welding canopy,… and replenish blood pressure, adjust function, improve organ health as well as improve resistance to repel disease symptoms, eliminate the root cause of the disease.
When using Traditional Medicine, pregnant women should follow the instructions of the medical salary, do not arbitrarily buy the drug when not in order.
3. Measures to prevent allergic rhinitis during pregnancy
Pregnant women should pay attention to the following issues to prevent allergic rhinitis effectively:
- Find out the causes of allergic rhinitis for effective prevention;
- Keep the house, the living environment is always clean, cool, avoid dampness;
- Avoid the use of allergenic foods such as milk, eggs, seafood,…;
- Do not keep pets such as dogs, cats in the house;
- Keep your body warm when it's cold, especially in the neck and nose;
- Clean your teeth daily, brush your teeth immediately after eating, before and after waking up;
- Masks should be worn when cleaning the house and when out on the street.
Allergic rhinitis during pregnancy can have many adverse effects on the health of the pregnant woman and the fetus. Therefore, when experiencing the symptoms of the disease, the pregnant woman should see a doctor for proper examination and treatment. In particular, pregnant women absolutely do not take the drug without being prescribed because some medications can cause negative side effects for mothers and babies.
Pregnant women with allergic rhinitis can affect the development of the fetus. Therefore, the mother needs to pay special attention to prevention during this period. The package maternity care program at Share99 is scientifically designed with a routine examination and testing schedule throughout pregnancy to help diagnose and treat early avoid the risks of harm to mothers and babies.
Master. Dr. Trinh Thi Thanh Huyen is highly trained in obstetric ultrasound, laparoscopic surgery and endoscopy at the National Health Hub of Obstetrics and Gynecology and has more than 13 years of experience working at Hai Phong Obstetrics and Gynecology Health Hub.
Currently, the doctor is a doctor of obstetrics and gynecology at Share99 Hai Phong International Health Hub
For direct advice, please click hotline number or register online HERE. In addition, you can register for remote consultation HERE
- Safe nasal drop for pregnant women
- Can Xylometazolin cure nasal congestion be used for pregnant women?
- What to do with allergic rhinitis during pregnancy?