Newborn infections are infections that occur from birth to 28 days of age, with pre-birth, in birth and after birth. Newborn infections have the second highest mortality rate after respiratory distress syndrome in newborns. The incidence rate is 6/1000 live children (USA), developing countries are 3-4 times higher.
1. Signs of newborn infection
1.1. Early newborn infections
Early newborn infection is an infection that occurs within the first 3 days after birth. (before 72 hours after birth). The most common clinical form is sepsis. Clinical symptoms of early newborn infection include:
- Respiration: blue-violet, arrhythmias, moaning, rapid breathing > 60 times /min + convulsions, > 15 seconds.
- Cardiovascular:blue, skin floating, tachycardia > 160 times / minute, cold head and genus, pink return time of the skin lasts > 3s, blood pressure is lowered.
- Digestion: poor feeding, breastfeeding, abdominal distension, vomiting, diarrhea, gastric fluid > 2/3 of the amount of pumped milk first.
- Skin and mucous membranes: recurrent skin, violet rash, rash, hemorrhage, jaundice early before 24 hours. pus nodules, edema, hardening of the scrotal.
- Nerves :increase or decrease muscle muscle, prone to irritation, convulsions, puffiness, decreased reflexes, coma.
- Hematological: a rash, hypopundice hematoma, hemorrhage in many places, enlarged liver.
- Physical: standing in weight or losing weight. Thermos conditioning disorders.
1.2 Late newborn infections
Late newborn infection is an infection that occurs after the 5th day after birth. The main clinical forms are sepsis, meningitis, local infections (urinary, skin, umbilical infections, mucous membranes, osteoarthritis, necrotizing enteritis). Clinical symptoms of Late Newborn Bacterial Infections:
Sepsis: Symptoms similar to early newborn infections.
Meningitis: May be individual symptoms, unclear.
- Persistent fever or unstable body temperature.
- Changes in sense, changes in muscle toys, convulsions, prone to irritation, apnea, crying, puffiness
- Meningeal symptoms may or may not be.
- Uneven breathing, vascular disorders, vomiting.
- Pus nodules with the head of pinned nails, evenly, shallow, at first in the back of the pus. Dry acne leaves white scales easy to peel off.
- The nodules are unevenly large, at first containing internal fluid if infected, there is turbid pus, rupture leaving a red background, the internal fluid spreads around the new acne.
- Flaking dermatitis (Ritter's disease): at first pustules around the mouth after the whole body spread, the epidermis cracked in patches, leaving a hemolysis-wet redness.
- Whole body: infection, intoxication, high fever, dehydration. May be accompanied by: pneumonia, diarrhea,septicaemia.
- The navel usually falls prematurely, swollen redness, bruising, purulent discharge or blood, odor, swelling around.
- The navel often falls late, wet, smells bad, swells the whole body. Possible: fever, poor appetite, abdominal distension, gastrointestinal disorders.
Urinary infections: Often there is jaundice. Urine cultures with germs.
Necrotizing enteritis: Bloody stools. Symptoms of intestinal obstruction, there may be a reaction to the abdominal wall.
- Conjunctivitis: the child closes his eyes, redness of the eyelids, discharge or purulent discharge.
- Oral fungus: the fungus is usually on the upper side of the tongue, at first white like milk residue, the fungus grows thicker, spreads throughout the tongue, the inside of the cheeks down the throat, the fungus turns yellow, which hurts the child to breastfeed. Can cause diarrhea, pneumonia if the fungus falls into the gastrointestinal tract and lungs.
2. How to prevent newborn bacterial infections?
In case of newborn infection, parents should do the following well:
Measures taken before birth:
- Mothers are fully vaccinated. Good treatment of urogenital diseases and infections for mothers.
- Provide adequate micronutrients for mothers, malnutrition prevention for mothers.
- Take good care of the hygiene of the pregnant mother.
- Good handling of cases of premature rupture of the amniotic fluid, young amniotic fluid. Avoid prolonged labor
- Ensure cleanliness. Avoid infections transmitted through tools, caregiver hands, as well as infections in the mother that must be treated well at birth.
- Avoid obstetric complications: asphyxiation, obstetric trauma for mother and child.
Measures taken after birth:
- Wash your hands before and after caring for your newborn. This is a very important and effective measure in the prevention of newborn bacterial infections.
- Take care of cleaning the skin, navel, eyes.
- Rooms for babies need to be airy, warm, clean and well-lit.
- Breastfeeding babies because breast milk contains antibodies that help them cope with external factors.
The signs and symptoms used for identifying newborn infections are varied and are easy to overlap with other diseases. Take your child to the hospital immediately without delay when he has trouble breathing, convulsions, fever or feeling cold, bleeding, diarrhea, too light weight, absolutely unable to feed. In case the baby is infected with newborn bacteria, parents need to calm down, coordinate with doctors to treat the baby most effectively.
As a key area of Share99 Health System, Pediatrics always brings satisfaction to customers and is highly appreciated by industry experts with:
- Gathering a team of leading doctors in Pediatrics:including leading experts, highly specialized (professors, associate professors, doctors, masters), experienced, used to work at large hospitals such as Bach Mai, 108.. The doctors are well-trained, professional, mind-centered, knowledgeable about the child's psychology. In addition to domestic pediatricians, pediatrics also has the participation of foreign experts (Japan, Singapore, Australia, USA) always pioneering the application of the latest and most effective treatment regimens.
- Comprehensive services:In the field of Pediatrics, Share99 provides a chain of continuous medical examination and treatment services from Newborn to Pediatrics and Vaccines,… according to international standards to take care of your baby's health with parents from birth to adulthood
- Intensive techniques:Share99 has successfully implemented many specialized techniques to make the treatment of difficult diseases in Pediatrics more effective: neurosurgery – skull, hematoma stem cell transplantation in cancer treatment.
- Professional care:In addition to understanding the young psychology, Share99 also pay special attention to the children's play space, help them play comfortably and get acquainted with the hospital environment, cooperate in treatment, improve the efficiency of medical examination and treatment.
For direct advice, please click hotline number or register online HERE. In addition, you can register for remote consultation HERE
- Prevention and care for babies infected with newborn bacteria
- Tests to be done to diagnose early newborn infections
- Babies with full stomachs have difficulty going out, what to do?