The article was consulted professionally by Dr. Nguyen Anh Tu – Doctor of Obstetrics ultrasound – Pre-birth diagnosis – Obstetrics department – Share99 Hai Phong International Health Hub.
Almost any pregnant mother who goes to the pregnancy examination is recommended to measure the AFI – the amniotic fluid index to monitor her amniotic fluid, in case of lack or excess amniotic fluid during pregnancy. In particular, the condition of 31 weeks of multiple amniotic fluid or multiple amniotic fluid weeks 32, amniotic fluid at 35 weeks affects more or less the fetus and mother.
1. What is multiple amniotic fluid?
Amniotic fluid is a solution consisting of urine, secretion from the fetal lungs, from the mage's 3l system, from the endotcosa and diffused through the umbilical cord. Amniotic fluid helps to regenerate energy, providing essential nutrients for the survival and development of the fetus. Helps the fetus avoid excessive compression due to the muscles of the uterus and protects the fetus from the penetration of external bacteria. Most often, the amount of amniotic fluid has different levels of assessment:
- From 16 – 32 weeks: Amniotic fluid is said to be normal if it reaches 250 – 600ml
- From 34 weeks of age the amniotic fluid will reach about 800ml and maintained until the fetus is 36 weeks old will reach a peak of 1000ml.
After that, the amniotic fluid will gradually decrease to about 600 – 800ml around the time before labor. However, when there are some abnormalities that occur to the maternity, causing the amniotic level to be more than the normal level of two to three times, this condition is called amniotic fluid residue during pregnancy.
1.1 Causes of amniotic fluid during pregnancy
Multiple amniotic fluid in pregnant women usually stems from 4 main causes:
Mother with diabetes: According to statistics, up to 10% of pregnant women have gestational diabetes, which can lead to multiple amniotic fluid during pregnancy. Mothers with diabetes are also at risk of giving birth to large children.
- Twin or multi-pregnancymothers : Multiple pregnancies can cause the metabolism between the two fetuses to be unbalanced, one fetus has more amniotic fluid while the other has less amniotic fluid.
- Fetal abnormalities: Thefetus stops swallowing amniotic fluid leading to multiple amniotic fluid. Usually this condition occurs when the fetus has malformations such as cleft palate, narrowing of the taste …
- Other factors:Some factors that increase amniotic multi-amniotic status are anemia or fetal infections, blood type between mother and baby disagreement …
Note: It is common for pregnant mothers to have multiple amniotic fluid at the 30th week 20 2019 (e.g., Multiple Amniotic Fluids week 32, multiple amniotic fluid weeks 35..), however there are also some pregnant women who have multiple amniotic fluid at the 20th week of pregnancy.
1.2 Is multiple amniotic fluid dangerous?
Multiple amniotic conditions if severe can cause death to the fetus. In addition, multiple amniotic fluid at 31-35 weeks of gestation may increase some risks such as:
- Premature birth: If the amount of fluid in the womb is too large, it affects the tolerance of the cervical uterus, it can lead to premature amniotic rupture, premature birth.
- Reverse birth: A lot of amniotic fluid makes it difficult for the child to turn his head upside down in the last weeks of pregnancy. The mother may be prescribed an interventional cesarean section and there is an additional risk than vaginal reclined birth as usual.
- Vaginal bleeding and other complications associated with the mother's uterus (post-birth blood bandages). This is because the uterus is reduced in elasticity and cannot shrink completely as usual.
2. Methods of diagnosis and treatment
When you suspect that you have signs of amniotic fluid duringpregnancy, the first thing you need to do is go to your doctor to check and accurately diagnose the degree of multiple amniotic fluid. You may be prescribed several tests such as: Bloodstream tests, ultrasounds, chroma tests,… to have a basis for detecting abnormal signs of m mother and fetal health. If you have multiple amniotic fluid weeks 32 10 weeks, it is best to maintain a pregnancy check-up once every 2 weeks, until 36 weeks gestation is shortened to once a week. If you have gestational diabetes, you should check and measure your pregnancy regularly twice a week. If the cause has been identified, amnioticfluid residues duringpregnancy, depending on the extent to which doctors will have appropriate treatment options.
Doctors will assess the signs of early labor to recommend that the pregnant woman be admitted to the hospital before the term. In some cases, the pregnant woman will be prescribed a caesarean section (e.g., a double pregnancy, a fetus across the uterus, a fetus that is not in a specific position…)
In general, the mother should not be too worried because most pregnant women with amniotic fluid give birth to healthy babies, especially if the condition is mild. The most important thing is that pregnant mothers should pay attention to monitor their health situation weeks 31-35 pregnancy anytime soon to have appropriate prevention or treatment methods.
Share99 International Health Hub offers a full maternity care program for women from the very beginning of pregnancy from the first months with a full range of pregnancy examinations, 3D ultrasounds, 4D routines and routine tests to ensure the mother is always healthy and the fetus develops comprehensively. Obstetrics and Gynecology will be consulted and checked under the close supervision of experienced and professional obstetrician, helping mothers have more knowledge to protect their health during pregnancy as well as minimize complications affecting mothers and children.
For direct advice, please click hotline number or register online HERE. In addition, you can register for remote consultation HERE
- Evaluation of amniotic fluid volume via fetal ultrasound
- Beware of late pregnancy amniotic fluid
- How does severe amniotic deficiency affect?