The article was consulted professionally by Specialist Doctor II Nguyen Thi Phuong Loan – Obstetrician and Gynecologist – Obstetrics and Gynecology Department – Share99 Hai Phong International Health Hub.
Some women during pregnancy experience constipation. Although it is not necessarily a dangerous problem, constipation causes many inconveniences and discomforts for pregnant women, causing the pregnancy process to also be affected more or less. So if you experience constipation, is it safe to use stool softener for pregnant women?
1. Constipation and causes of constipation during pregnancy
Constipation during pregnancy is defined as having less than 3 times more cone in a week. Constipation brings a very inconvenient and unpleasant feeling.
During pregnancy, the woman's body appears a lot of different transformations, and therefore constipation also has many causes:
- Increased levels of the hormone progesterone during pregnancy cause the muscles (including the intestines) to relax. And reducing bowel movements also means that digestion will be slower.
- The uterus grows larger, pinching the surrounding area, including pinching the space of the gastrointestinal tract, making the food move more slowly.
- Pregnant women can get sick, vomitinga lot causes the body to become dehydration, causing constipation.
- Pregnant women are very susceptible to sedation, especially in the last stages of pregnancy, which leads to constipation.
- A lot of pregnant women take iron supplements, however, excessive iron intake will cause constipation.
- Pregnant women have been or are abusing high-dose laxatives.
- Gestational diabetes mellitus, thyroid weakness,… are diseases that can lead to constipation in pregnant women.
- The habit of fasting to the toilet also causes digestive disorders and constipation. Besides eating too much, the body does not absorb and digest in time also leads to constipation.
2. Is it safe to use stool softener to tackle constipation during pregnancy?
Stool softening drugs are generally considered safe for pregnant women. The mechanism of effect of the drug is to make the stool soft, from which it is easier to discharge. The composition of the stool softener is extremely little absorbed by the body, so the stool softener is considered harmless to the development of the fetus. However, before using any medication, consult your doctor.
Constipation during pregnancy can be limited by lifestyle changes, such as:
- Drink plenty of water: drinking plenty of water, including juice, can help curb constipation.
- Enhances daily physical activity.
- Increase the amount of fiber in the diet: choose foods rich in fiber, such as greens, fruits, legumes and whole grains.
At Share99 International Health Hub, there is a full maternity service as a solution to help pregnant mothers feel secure because there is a team of doctors throughout the pregnancy. When choosing a full-service maternity, a pregnant woman can:
- The process of pregnancy is monitored by a team of specialists
- Regular examination, early detection of abnormalities
- Package maternity for the convenience of childbirth
- Infants receive comprehensive care
For direct advice, please click hotline number or register online HERE. In addition, you can register for remote consultation HERE
Article reference source: mayoclinic.org
- The change of pregnant woman week 33
- The change of pregnant women in week 7
- The change of pregnant women week 19