Besides the fetal weight index, the femoral length index is one of the necessary parameters to help the mother know the development of the fetus in the womb. The doctor can measure the length of the femur from the 14th week of pregnancy, to the 30th week of gestation, what is the average femur length of the fetus?
1. How normal is the 30-week-old fetal femur length index
Fetal femur length index – FL is an index calculated by week of age, from the 14th week of pregnancy, doctors can measure the length of the femur of the fetus. This is one of the necessary parameters measured through each routine pregnancy examination to assess the ability of the fetus to develop normally while in the womb.
Below is an index of the normal femoral length of a 30-week-old fetus in millimeters:
- Fetus 30 weeks old: femur length in the range of 53-63, average value is 56 mm
- Fetus 30 weeks 1 day old: femur length in the range of 53-63, average value is 57 mm
- Fetus 30 weeks 2 days old: femur length in the range of 234-292, average value is 262 mm
- Fetus 30 weeks 3 days old: femur length in the range of 236-296, average value is 265mm
- Fetus 30 weeks 4 days old: femur length between 238-299, average value is 269mm
- Fetus 30 weeks 5 days old: femur length in the range of 240-303, average value is 272mm
- Fetus 30 weeks 6 days old: femur length between 243-307, average value is 275mm
When the fetus has a normal femoral length index, mothers can rest assured to take a break to welcome their baby.
2. The main factors affecting the length of the fetal femur
There are many factors that affect the length of the femur of the fetus while in the womb, however there are 4 main factors:
- Genetic factors: As one of the decisive factors to the length of the fetal femur, usually accounts for about 23%. This means that parents who are tall are more likely to be born.
- Nutrition: While still in the abdomen, fetal nutrition is completely provided from the mother, therefore the mother's nutrition plays a very important role in the development of height and weight, the length of the femur of the child in the future.
- Habitat: According to a U.S. study, mothers living in polluted environments, their children's weight and height will be reduced by about 9% compared to mothers living in green, clean environments and fresh air. Therefore, mothers need to maintain clean housing and surroundings, avoid contact with polluted air.
- Bad habits: Staying up late, drinking plenty of soft drinks, coffee, beer, alcohol or smoking one of the bad habits that directly affects the development of the fetus.
3. What should I do when the fetus is 30 weeks old?
All mothers during pregnancy want their children to always be healthy and develop comprehensively in terms of weight, height and health. To do so, mothers need to do the following:
- At the 30-week-old fetal stage, mothers should supplement foods rich in proteins, vitamin C, D, calcium, folic acid,… to help the fetus in the abdomen grow healthy and avoid heartburn during pregnancy.
- Mothers need adequate water replenishing every day, regular pregnancy check-up, especially the last 3 months of pregnancy.
- Avoid using foods and beverages that affect the health of mothers and babies such as cakes, canned foods, alcoholic beverages or stimulants.
In summary: Fetal femur length is an important index, it directly affects the height and development of the child later. Therefore, at each week of age, when fetal indicators including the femur length index are within the allowed limits, the fetus develops normally until it is born.
Package maternity packages at Share99 International Health Hub include necessary newborn tests and screenings, protecting the health of mothers and babies before birth, during birth and after birth. Depending on the stage of pregnancy, the pregnant woman will be consulted by a suitable pregnancy ultrasound doctor to check the developmental status of the baby. Maternity packages at Share99 International Health Hub include:
- 12-week maternity package
- 27-week maternity package
- 36-week maternity package
- Package maternity – labor.
For direct advice, please click hotline number or register online HERE. In addition, you can register for remote consultation HERE
- Detailed pregnancy check-up schedule for pregnant women in the last 3 months
- The last tri month of pregnancy should increase up to 5-6kg
- Is multiple pregnancy ultrasound good?