The infant's body is weak, so the likelihood of infection is very high, especially umbilical cord infections if not properly cared for. Umbilical infections increase the risk of very dangerous sepsis, increasing post-birth mortality. Therefore, how to properly care for the navel to limit the risk of infection is very important.
1. Why navel care for babies is needed
The navel is the way to move nutrients and oxygen from the mother's cake to the fetus, and the umbilical cord will also be connected directly to the child's liver.
If the child does not receive proper umbilical care will cause an infection of the umbilical cord, an infection of the umbilical cord causes harm:
- This infection will very quickly spread to the liver, even at risk of sepsis, the risk of infant mortality is very high up to 40-80%.
- Umbilical infections can lead to the risk of umbilical tetanus, one of the leading causes of death in babies.
- Slows down the process of umbilical shedding.
Therefore, the infant's navel needs proper care, avoiding the risk of umbilical infection.
2. How to properly care for the infant navel
The care of the umbilical cord for babies applies to babies who have not shed the umbilical cord and also the child who has shed the umbilical cord, the umbilical cord also secretes or infections.
Preparation of tools:
- Ep erile cotton sticks or ermic cotton
- Sterile gauze.
- 70-degree alcohol umbilical sanitizer or 1% eosin solution.
- Umbilical bandages.
Steps to care for the infant's navel:
- First, caregivers need to wash their hands clean, especially with bactericidal soap.
- Then remove the baby's old umbilical bandage and wash your hands again.
- Then one hand uses sterile gauze to gently lift the umbilical cord, observe if the navel is red, bleeding or smelling bad, the skin around the umbilical cord is reddened.
- Next you use harmless cotton sticks impregnated with antiseptic solution of the umbilical cord in order from the umbilical cord, umbilical cord stem, umbilical cord cross section.
- Disinfect the skin around the umbilical cord from the umbilical cord 5cm wide with an antiseptic solution.
- Finally, if the umbilical cord is fresh, bandage the umbilical cord with thin gauze, and if the umbilical cord is dry without umbilical dressing to open the ventilated.
- Normally the umbilical cord of the newborn will fall out within 7 to 10 days after birth, and after 15 days the umbilical cord must be completely immediately, however there are also some cases where the umbilical cord falls longer but if there are no signs of infection, it is not worrying. It is necessary to keep the navel and the surrounding area clean, dry until the umbilical cord falls off.
- 24 hours after birth, when the umbilical cord cross section is dry, it is possible to safely remove the umbilical cord clip from the umbilical cord. The child should be removed from the umbilical cord clip at the hospital, before the infant is discharged home. Umbilical clamping can interfere with changing diapers at home and can be pulled up, causing damage to the umbilical legs, causing pain to the child.
- When the umbilical cord has dried, leave it open, allowing the umbilical cord to come into contact with the air to help the umbilical cord fall more quickly. Wrap the diaper under the navel, after the child has pepper, urinate need to change the diaper immediately.
- When the navel has not fallen out, avoiding placing the child in such a bath will wet the navel, bath water may not guarantee hygiene causing umbilical infection. Using a small soft towel to wipe the young, after wiping the youngster, use a stick to wipe the child's umbilical cord.
- When the umbilical cord falls, it is possible to dip the child in a bath.
- Care should be continued after the umbilical cord has fallen until the dried umbilical cord legs no longer have secret secreties.
- If it is not necessary you do not touch the umbilical cord of the baby.
- Where the child appears a little dry blood sticking in the umbilical cord legs can be normal parents do not need to worry too much.
3. When to take your child to the clinic
Signs of infection:
- The umbilical legs of babies are red and swollen.
- The infant's navel secretes the most secreted, odorous water.
- Press the area around the baby's navel to cry.
- Redness of the skin around the navel.
- The navel is bleeding.
In addition, some other signs include: children with high fever above 38 degrees Celsius, fast breathing (breathing more than 60 times / minute), babies with jaundice …
Umbilical cord granules: If the umbilical cord legs are prolonged yellowish, without signs of swelling, heat, redness, the child does not have a fever, it is possible that the child has umbilical granules.
Prolonged umbilical bleeding: If the umbilical cord legs are bleeding profanity and prolonged, this may be a sign of a blood clot disorder pathology.
When children notice signs on their parents, they should be taken to a medical facility for examination and early treatment to avoid dangerous complications for the child.
Properly care for the infant umbilical cord avoids the risk of umbilical infection, thereby reducing the risk of sepsis that is dangerous to the child's life. In the process of caring for the umbilical cord for children, parents regularly check and detect abnormal signs to promptly take the child to a medical facility immediately.
As a key area of Share99 Health System, Pediatrics always brings satisfaction to customers and is highly appreciated by industry experts with:
- Gathering a team of leading doctors in Pediatrics:including leading experts, highly specialized (professors, associate professors, doctors, masters), experienced, used to work at large hospitals such as Bach Mai, 108.. The doctors are well-trained, professional, mind-centered, knowledgeable about the child's psychology. In addition to domestic pediatricians, pediatrics also has the participation of foreign experts (Japan, Singapore, Australia, USA) always pioneering the application of the latest and most effective treatment regimens.
- Comprehensive services:In the field of Pediatrics, Share99 provides a chain of continuous medical examination and treatment services from Newborn to Pediatrics and Vaccines,… according to international standards to take care of your baby's health with parents from birth to adulthood
- Intensive techniques:Share99 has successfully implemented many specialized techniques to make the treatment of difficult diseases in Pediatrics more effective: neurosurgery – skull, hematoma stem cell transplantation in cancer treatment.
- Professional care:In addition to understanding the young psychology, Share99 also pay special attention to the children's play space, help them play comfortably and get acquainted with the hospital environment, cooperate in treatment, improve the efficiency of medical examination and treatment.
For direct advice, please click hotline number or register online HERE. In addition, you can register for remote consultation HERE
- Common problems and diseases in the umbilical cord of babies
- Are 13-day-old umbilical cords red and dry white?
- Diseases of the umbilical cord in babies