The nutrition of the pregnant mother throughout the 40 weeks of pregnancy contributes significantly to the health and development of the fetus. Therefore, in order for the baby to develop comprehensively healthy, the pregnant mother needs to supplement the right nutrients.
1. The role of proper nutrition for pregnant women
During the development of the fetus, the nutrition of the baby will depend on the nutrition of the mother. The source of nutrition from the mother will follow the blood through the placenta to provide the baby. Having a nutritional preparation for pregnancy and during 40 weeks of full pregnancy will help the mother and baby have good resistance, avoid disease, be healthy enough to give birth, recover from premature birth, have enough lactation milk.
If the mother has good nutrition during pregnancy, it will help her child not to suffer from fetal malnutrition, pregnancyfailure, mental retness, movement.
2. General principles of nutrition for pregnant women
During pregnancy, the mother needs to follow some of the following principles to ensure the health of the mother and baby:
- Dietary adjustment: The healthy diet of the pregnant mother contributes significantly to the health and development of the baby. In need of a healthy baby, she needs to have the right nutrition.
- Say no to harmful foods: Harmful foods that are not good for both mother and baby. Causing complications that can be dangerous for the baby and mother.
- Do not diet during pregnancy: Dieting during pregnancy will be potentially dangerous for mothers and babies, weight loss reduces the weight of the mother's body and reduces the absorption of iron, folic acid and other essential vitamins and minerals. However, not everything pregnant mothers should eat a lot, because too much also affects the mother and baby.
3. Scientific nutrition for 40 weeks of pregnancy
Nutrition preparing for pregnancy or during pregnancy is extremely important for the development of the child. Therefore, pregnant mothers need to have a proper nutrition as follows:
- Increase energy: Pregnant mothers need to increase energy needs, if women of child age need 2200Kcal / day, pregnant women, especially the last 3 months need 2550 Kcal / day.
- Protein and fat supplements: Protein supplements increase by 15g/day compared to normal and fat accounts for 20% of total energy, about 40g.
- Iron supplements: Iron is one of the minerals that should be contained in nutrition for new pregnancies. Pregnant women should add 60mg of elemental iron per day. Iron deficiency leads to anemia in the mother and the weight of babies. Iron-containing foods include: meat, fish, eggs, clams, oysters, snails, mussels, cereals, beans, secretion.
- Calcium Supplements: Pregnant women need to add 800-1000mg of calcium per day. Calcium is abundant in shrimp, crabs, fish, milk and dairy preparations or taking calcium tablet supplements accompanied by vitamin D.
- Zinc supplements: Zinc deficiency can cause infertility, miscarriage, premature birth … The zinc demand of the pregnant mother is 15mg/day. Zinc is in meat, fish, seafood.
- Iodine supplements:If iodine deficiency in pregnant women can cause miscarriage, premature birth, babies born with a lack of energy, paralysis of the hands or feet, speaking, deaf, dumb … Sea fish, oysters, seaweed… are foods containing Iodine; at the same time pregnant women should use salt, soup powder.
- Folic Acid Supplement: This is an indispensable vitamin for nutrition during pregnancy of the pregnant mother. Lack of folic acid can lead to underweight in a child, an increase in nervous tube malformations. Sources of folic acid for pregnant mothers include: greens, fruits, whole grains, ….
- Vitamin A supplements: Vitamin A is a vitamin that plays a special role in visual activity, strengthening immunity in the body. Vitamins are abundant in natural food such as milk, liver, eggs, greens, especially vegetables, amaranth, spinach ….
- Vitamin D supplements: Vitamin D helps absorb calcium and phosphorus minerals. If pregnant women lack vitamin D, the child has rickets right in the womb, long-term. Vitamin D is abundant in phosphorus, fish, eggs, milk,…
- Vitamins B1, B2: Vitamin B1 helps to convert gluxit, fight edema in pregnant women; vitamin B1 is contained in cereals and legumes. Vitamin B2 participates in the hematoma process; vitamin B2 is abundant in animal feed, milk, vegetables, beans …
- Vitamin C: Vitamin C is a very important vitamin in scientific nutrition for 40 weeks ofpregnancy , because this vitamin helps increase resistance, supports iron absorption, prevents anemia, so pregnant women need to take daily vitamin C supplements. Vitamin C is mainly contained in fruits such as guava, orange, kiwi,…
4. Dealing with a number of nutritional-related health issues
In addition to having a scientific diet throughout the 40 weeks of pregnancy, the pregnant mother also needs to pay attention to some health problems related to nutrition and properly handle when encountered as follows:
- Ingestion, pregnancy constipation: Due to the development of the fetus, the pressure of the uterus is growing on the digestive system, so the pregnant mother needs to break down meals, do not overeating before going to bed, eat slowly chewing thoroughly and sit upright when eating. Pregnant mothers should also drink plenty of water (8 glasses /day ~ 2 liters), eat foods high in fiber.
- Vomiting: This usually occurs at weeks 6-16 of pregnancy. Pregnant mothers should avoid foods with a strong smell, use foods high in sugar powder, low in fat. Waking up early in the morning should drink a glass of hot water with bread or biscuits.
- Fatigue: Pregnant women are often tired due to the much increased body weight. Therefore, it is advisable to work according to the ability, not to over-work; avoid working at high altitudes and taking a dip in the water; gentle movement; sleep every day for at least 8 hours, it is recommended to take a nap of 30 minutes to 1 hour; mental comfort, avoid stress, anxiety; keep the habitat fresh, avoid tobacco smoke, dust.
At Share99 International Health Hub, there is a full maternity service as a solution to help pregnant mothers feel secure because there is a team of doctors throughout the pregnancy. When choosing a full-service maternity, a pregnant woman can:
- The process of pregnancy is monitored by a team of specialists
- Regular examination, early detection of abnormalities
- Package maternity for the convenience of childbirth
- Infants receive comprehensive care
For direct advice, please click hotline number or register online HERE. In addition, you can register for remote consultation HERE
- What to know when you are pregnant for the first time so that both mother and baby are healthy?
- A few good soups for pregnant women
- 6 groups of nutrients that need special attention during pregnancy