High-risk pregnancy care plays an important role, helping to ensure the safety of both the mother and the fetus. Women with high-risk pregnancies such as gestational diabetes mellitus, pre-maternity should be examined regularly and have a more special health care and monitoring regime than usual.
1. The role of high-risk pregnancy care
High-risk pregnancies can have serious effects on mage, fetal and infant health. High-risk pregnancy includes many causes such as: the physical condition of the mother is not guaranteed during pregnancy, diseases that the mother has pre-existing, a history of multiple miscarriages or multiple births, abnormalities that arise during pregnancy suchas gestational diabetes mellitus, pre-cesarean section or the effects of social life such as work pressure, polluted cramped habitats affecting the health and psychology of the mother.
The consequences of high-risk pregnancy can be severe such as underdeve developmental pregnancy, critical and chronic pregnancy failure, preterm birth, miscarriage, still still death, babies born with deformities, intellectual disabilities or congenital genetic conditions,… For the mother, high-risk pregnancy increases the rate of medical intervention during and after birth, increases the rate of caesarean section, even fatal in the mother.
High-risk pregnancy care is extremely important. High-risk pregnancies need to be detected early for timely monitoring and handling to reduce the incidence of possible accidents to ensure the safety of both mother and baby. High-risk pregnancy care measures include: physical examination and performing a number of sub-clinical probes to detect high-risk pregnancies early; have high-risk pregnancy care appropriate on a case-by-case basis; monitor and assess the risk of the fetus in labor.
In addition, high-risk pregnancy care includes providing counseling tips to high-risk pregnant women and families; prevention, handling of problems and factors that are unfavorable to the mother and pregnancy.
2. Physical examination and sub-clinical examinations to detect high-risk pregnancies
2.1 Overall examination
The overall examination helps to assess the med maternity status, when the overall examination pays attention to cases of maternity abnormal shapes such as crooks, hunchbacks or height below 145cm because there is often a risk of difficult birth. Measuring weight, if the weight increases by 20% during pregnancy is normal. Check blood pressure, skin condition, mucous membranes, eye examination, cardiovascular, breast, lung,…
2.2 Specialist examination
Specialized examination in the pelvic area, cervical examination to detect lacerations or signs of inflammation, detection of fibroids, vaginal examination to detect genital prolapse, examination of the perineum for short length, scarring,…
2.2.1 Some exploration methods for detecting high-risk pregnancies
3. High-risk pregnancy care
In mothers who are not at risk, good health conditions are advised to have a pregnancy examination at least 3 times during pregnancy. In high-risk women, pregnancy should be monitored more closely, requires a 4-week pregnancy check-up until week 28, followed by a 2-time pregnancy check-up until week 36, followed by a weekly pregnancy check-up for up to 40 weeks. Each pregnancy examination if a risk factor is detected requires appropriate treatment.
High-risk pregnancy care content:
Week of pregnancy 8-14
- Determine pregnancy status, examine patients about their own medical history, obstetric history, family history. General examination, specialized examination if necessary.
- Perform urine tests and blood tests, blood formula, ABO/Rh blood type tests, syphilis serological tests for measles, syphilis).
- Nutritional advice, physical activity, measures to protect pregnancy health.
- Blood tests to detect the risk of opening the nerve tube and down disease.
- Erth erth-form ultrasound, re-examination of blood test results at week 16, predicts the date of birth.
- Regular pregnancy check-up, asking for special symptoms such as vaginal bleeding, decreased or loss of pregnancy movement,…
- Urine analysis, measurement of uterus height, abdominal ring, blood pressure measurement.
- Routine pregnancy ultrasound, examination of amniotic fluid, height of the uterus, making blood formula.
Gestational week 32
- Routine pregnancy checkups, blood pressure checks, discussing childbirth issues with pregnant women and families.
- Routine pregnancy checkups, blood pressure checks, blood formulas, pregnancy checks are abnormal or not.
Gestational week 38
- Regular pregnancy examination, check of blood pressure, development of pregnancy, examination of the fetus.
- Routine examination, blood pressure examination, pregnancy, discussion of childbirth.
- Re-examination and discussion causes artificial labor.
In principle of high-risk pregnancy care, if commune health stations detect the risk of maternity pregnancy, they must be transferred to district-level health facilities. Depending on the conditions, professional ability and equipment, the district-level facility may decide to keep the pregnant woman for treatment or send it to the provincial route. In any situation it is necessary to follow the principle:
- Don't let an accident happen before you suspend your pregnancy.
- Suspend pregnancy to save the mother when necessary.
- Timely treatment of impaired pregnancy and active treatment of asphyxiated newborns.
4. Some high-risk pregnancy care prevention measures
- Providing vitamins and folic acid to prevent spinal defects in the fetus, helping the mother reduce the risk of disease during pregnancy.
- Routine ultrasound is aimed at reducing the rate of pre-pregnancy, reducing the incident of abnormal birth of babies, reducing the incidence of children with genetic diseases of parents,
- Treatment of hypertension is aimed at controlling blood pressure in pregnant women with high blood pressure, reducing the risk of pre-seizures.
- Blood glucose testing helps to control diabetes mellitus, detect gestational diabetes mellitus for timely treatment. Thereby reducing the risk of urinary infections, reducing premature birth, reducing cesarean section, large pregnancy, respiratory failure.
- Bio-testing, fetal biometric tests, fetal vascular doppler: to reduce the incidence and mortality in the fetus.
- Fetal biometrics are aimed at reducing fetal mortality and mortality.
Share99 International Health Hub offers a full maternity care program for women from the very beginning of pregnancy from the first months with a full range of pregnancy examinations, 3D ultrasounds, 4D routines and routine tests to ensure the mother is always healthy and the fetus develops comprehensively.
Obstetrics and Gynecology will be consulted and checked under the close supervision of experienced and professional obstetrician, helping mothers have more knowledge to protect their health during pregnancy as well as minimize complications affecting mothers and children.
For direct advice, please click hotline number or register online HERE. In addition, you can register for remote consultation HERE
- What to know about cesarean section
- How dangerous is the gestational diabetes index?
- What is the HbA1c test for?