The article was consulted professionally by Dr. Nguyen Xuan Tinh – General Department of General Medicine, Share99 Phu Quoc International Health Hub.
There are many methods of pain relief at birth, but choosing the right and safe method is still a question of many pregnant women about safety and efficiency. Therefore, an understanding of pain relief methods is necessary to help pregnant women overcome the process of childbirth in the best way.
1. Methods of pain relief with drugs
Methods of taking the drug include: Anesthesia of the sural membrane, spinal anesthesia, intravenous body analgesic, anaesthetic.
1.1 Sural anesthesia or painless calving
- Sysural anesthesia is the most effective and suitable analgesic technique for mothers and babies for both normal or cesarean sections.
- In particular, the use of this analgesic injection can control the effectiveness of the pregnant mother's analgesic during the overtaking process. The doctor can flexibly adjust the painkiller, the dosage and intensity of the drug as appropriate.
- Analgesic analgesic: lThe technique of inserting an anesthetic into the lumbar sural cavity through a small cathe membrane. The maternity controls the use of anesthetics several times through an electric injection pump, which works after 15-20 minutes of injection.
- Benefits of sural anesthesia: Pain relief for maternity does not lose strength during labor, does not affect the mother's strength. Does not affect obstetrics and gynecology
- Relief from stenosis may experience some side effects such as hypotension, nausea, infection, back pain … Contrainasing to the infected person where the injection is given, blood clot disorders, heart disease, severe liver.
1.2 Spinal anesthesia
Spinal anesthesia is a procedure that inserts an anesthetic into the srachnoid cavity through a very thin needle. The effect after a few minutes and lasts 60-120 minutes, usually applied to relieve cesarean pain. Some side effects are hypotension, nausea, infection, back pain …
1.3 Intravenous body pain relief
The central group of analgesic drugs, also known as opiates, are injected intramuscularly or intravenously, including pethidine, morphine … May have a nodding effect, nausea in the mother, respiratory inhibition in the baby, little is recommended.
Entonox gas or nitrogen oxide gas
- Nitrogen oxide, also known as laughing gas, is mixed with oxygen in a ratio of 1:1 and is supplied to the mother through a mask or a tube into the mouth. This gas takes a few seconds to start working, so when the contraction begins it is necessary to use the mask immediately.
- Nitrogen oxide does not completely stop the pain, but reduces the level of contractions. A lot of women opt for nitrous oxide because they can directly control it – women can hold the mask themselves and inhale when they feel the need.
- Nitrogen oxide does not interfere with contractions and it does not exist in the body of both mother and child.
Possible problems with the use of nitrogen oxide include:
- Nausea and vomiting
- Confusion and dis direction
- Feeling stuffy due to masks
- Not much pain relief – in some cases, nitrogen oxide has no an anegesous effect (seen in about a third of women).
2. Non-medication analgesgesy
- Relax by not focusing on the pain, talking to family, whispering to your baby, thinking about the fun that will come when the baby is born.
- Breathing: Nasal breathing – breathing or breathing – breathing, deep breathing – slow breathing.
- Change of position: walking around, swinging, if limited in the birth bed should move hands, legs, lie on your side, sit.
- Birthing bed: adjust many lying, lying, sitting, spreading legs, raising the head … The types of beds or tables located in the hospital are convenient when you give birth, doctors give birth, stitch the rye …
- Take a warm bath, even sit or soak in a warm bath. For many reasons, this method is not implemented in our country's hospitals, the main reason is that there is still no reliable evidence that it is effective to relieve pain and shorten labor.
- Travel: in the early stages, traveling can make you feel better than sitting/ lying in one place. However, doctors will let you know when to lie down (such as to have a baby monitor).
- The support, comfort and motivation of relatives is also an effective mental therapy.
The technique of sural anesthesia has now been applied at Share99 to help pregnant women gently overcome. At Share99, there is a team of professional and experienced anesthesisophym that will help women go through the safest painless labor.
For direct advice, please click hotline number or register online HERE. In addition, you can register for remote consultation HERE
- Share99 shares the best anesthesia trends in 2019
- How are post-caesarean painkillers used?
- Learn about robotic laparoscopic surgery for ovarian cysts at Share99