From the age of 6 months, babies can eat miles with foods other than breast milk. Pay attention to choose nutritious dishes for your baby, combined with proper processing, delicious will help the baby develop comprehensively, healthier and smarter.
1. The importance of nutritional care for children
Children who are not given enough nutrients for long periods of time can lead to malnutrition. Malnutrition is a condition where the child's body is deficient in many nutrients necessary for development, especially basic micronutrients such as zinc, calcium, iron, vitamins A, B, C, D, iodine, selenium,… This causes the child to slow growth in height,weight, delayed development of perception or other serious consequences.
Therefore, parents need to pay attention to nutritional care for their children to help them gain weight quickly and have good health. The principles to remember in how to cook for a child are:
- Eat enough groups of essential nutrients: Starch helps provide energy (contained in rice, noodles, potatoes, cereals,…), proteins that help build tissues and cells (which are high in fish, meat, eggs, milk, legumes), fats that help replenish energy (high content in vegetable oils, animal fats) and fiber that helps cleanse the gastrointestinal tract, conditioning blood glucose (greens, fruits);
- Enhancing nutritious and processed foods suitable for ages;
- It is possible to add grease to the food so that the child better absorbs vitamins D, E;
- Extra meals;
- Do not force the child to eat.
2. Foods rich in nutrients for babies
2.1 Vegetables, tubers, fruits
From the very beginning of eating miles, parents should feed them a variety of vegetables so that they can soon get used to the taste of vegetables and be easy to eat when growing up. Vegetables, tubers, fruits are also colorful, making your baby's meal more interesting. In particular, vegetables, tubers, fruits contain a lot of vitamins, minerals and fiber, helping children grow healthy, fight many diseases.
Some vegetables, tubers, fruits that are good for babies are:
- Spinach: Provides iron, calcium, folic acid, vitamins A and C – very good for the development of the child's bones and brain;
- Sweet potatoes: Rich in Bvitamins , C, E and micro-substances calcium, potassium, iron, starch and fiber – good for the digestive system;
- Avocados: Contains monounsaturated fats that help reduce cholesterol that harms the heart; soluble fiber has the effect of preventing constipation; vitamin E helps prevent cancer;
- Bananas: rich in potassium, vitamin B6, vitamin C, calcium and iron;
- Carrots: Have a high content of beta – carotene. It is a substance that can be converted into vitamin A in the body, which plays an important role in the development of the child;
- Citrus fruits: Includes oranges, lemons and grapefruits. It is an abundant source of vitamin C, which enhances the production of collagen contained in muscles, bones and other body tissues. In addition, vitamin C also helps wounds heal quickly, supporting the body to absorb iron from other foods;
- Legumes: Lentils, chickpeas, soybeans, peas,… provides abundant sources of protein and iron for the baby.
2.2 Types of fish
Parents can feed the child with fish from the moment the baby begins to eat miles. Fish are an abundant source of proteins, vitamins and minerals. At the same time, the Omega-3 fatty acids found in salmon and cod are good for cardiovascular health and support the brain development of the baby.
However, parents should also be aware that there are certain types of fish that the child should not eat. It's sharks, swordfish,… because they have a high content of mercury, which can negatively affect the child's developing nervous system. Types of salmon, sardines, tuna,… although good for children, they can also contain a low amount of mercury, so parents need to limit their diet, should only eat 1 – 2 times / week.
2.3 Poultry and red meat
Meat is an abundant source of protein and contains many healthy micro-substances such as iron and zinc,… Parents can feed their children poultry (chicken, duck) or red meat (pork, beef, goat,…) as soon as they eat miles from the age of 6 months. When processing meat for the child it is necessary to make sure to cook and remove the bones.
Egg whites are mostly protein, while yolks provide zinc, vitamins A, D, E and B12 for babies. In addition, egg yolks contain choline – a substance very important for the health and brain development of the child.
2.5 Milk and dairy products
After the child begins to follow a mileage diet, parents should continue breastfeeding or formula until the child is at least 1 year old. After that, mothers can continue breastfeeding or breastfeeding their babies with cow's milk instead. Milk, especially yogurt that provides a lot of protein and calcium, helps strengthen bones and teeth, supports the digestive system of the child against harmful bacteria in the intestinal tract.
3. Some nutritious dishes for babies
Here's how to prepare some nutritious dishes for your baby,helping them gain weight and develop height according to the growth measure:
3.1 Vegetable beef soup
- Preparation of ingredients: 200g beef, 10g peas, 2 potatoes, 1 carrot, 1⁄2 of amaranth, cane, bean sprouts, cooking oil and spices;
- Rinse the beef, slice into thin slices and marinate with a little cooking oil and seasoning seeds to absorb the seasoning evenly;
- Rinse, peel and chop small pieces while eating potato, carrot and beetroot ingredients. At the same time, rinse the peas. Then, bring all the hard-boiled vegetables with a little salt. With bean sprouts and hand needs – rinse, soak salt and drain;
- Onion with cooking oil, when fragrant, put beef in the general sauté until the meat hunts again, put water to cook soft. Next, add the potatoes, carrots, beans, bean sprouts and tomatoes, seasoning just eaten. Turn off the heat when the water boils again;
- Scoop the vegetable beef soup into a bowl, decorate beautifully and feed the children with white rice.
3.2 Heart porridge with rent
- Preparation of raw materials: 50g glutinous rice, 50g pig heart, 50g melon, cooking oil, spices just eaten;
- The pig's heart is washed, chopped and seasoned and stir-fried with cooking oil;
- Peel, rinse and cut pomegranate seeds;
- Vo glutinous rice, add a sufficient amount of water, cook glutinous rice porridge;
- When the porridge is ripe, add the pig's heart, rent it, stir well until the porridge boils and the melon is cooked;
- Scoop the porridge into a bowl, feed the child when it is warm.
3.3 Sweet corn chicken soup
- Preparation of ingredients: 50g chicken (choose the white meat), 30g sweet corn, 30g carrots, 200ml chicken broth, 1 quail egg, wood ear, shiitake mushrooms, cassava flour, spring onion and spices;
- Rinse the chicken, then finely chop or shred;
- Put the chicken in the broth, bring to a boil and put the carrots and corn to boil for about 5-7 minutes. When the carrots and corn are cooked, pour the shiitake mushrooms, wood ear mushrooms into a saucepan, season to taste the spices just eaten;
- When the water in the pot boils again, mix a little cassava flour with filtered water and pour into the pot, stirring your hands well so that the water compares;
- Beat 1 quail egg into a bowl, add a little water, stir well and pour into a saucepan, beat the eggs in a soup pot;
- Put the chicken soup in a bowl, decorate and wait for less heat to feed the baby.
3.5 Steamed carp with ginger
- Preparation of raw materials: 300g carp, 20g ginger, cooking oil and spices;
- Carp pecks the abdomen, removes the intestines, rinses and marinates with cooking oil and seasoning to taste;
- Ginger washed, chopped;
- Steam the carp with ginger until ripe;
- Feed the baby both water and carp meat. It is recommended to eat together with rice and greens.
3.5 Pumpkin eel porridge
- Preparation of raw materials: 200g copper eel, 100g pumpkin, 50g rice, 30g lotus seeds, ginger, spices;
- Rinse the eel with salt and vinegar to clean the viscous. It is possible to hold the eel with boiling water and then gently swipe to filter out the eel skin;
- Vo rice, drain and roast to wake up the smell. Lotus seeds washed, separated lotus heart. Pumpkin and lotus seeds should be boiled with 1 bowl of water until tender;
- Boil the eel with ginger to remove the fishy smell. When the eel is cooked, separate the eel meat. It is possible to pre-sauté eel meat with a little onion, garlic;
- North another pot of water, drop the eel bones into the boil. When the water boils, remove the residue and eel bones, take only the water and then cook the rice into porridge. When the porridge is ripe, add fish sauce, salt, seasoning seeds to taste;
- Put the eel meat, pumpkin in a saucepan, wait to boil again, turn off the stove;
- Feed your baby pumpkin eel porridge when it is warm.
Nutritious dishes for babies are very simple, easy to make. Parents should diversify foods and processing so that children eat enough substances, have good health, develop comprehensively.
- Some notes on food hygiene and safety
- Nutritional composition of spinach
- Nutritional value of pork
- When can the child eat fish?
- What is a sub-clinical examination?
- What is sub-clinical testing?