Article by Dr. Ma Van Absorb – Department of Pediatrics – Newborn – Share99 Phu Quoc International Health Hub
Calcium plays an important role in the formation and development of the child's bone and tooth system. In addition, calcium also plays a role in neurodeding, strengthening immunity, combined with vitamin D to help limit rickets, malnutrition in children.
1. Calcium needs at all ages
As recommended by the World Health Organization WHO, the need for calcium at different ages varies:
- Children under 6 months of age: 300mg/day
- From 7 to 12 months: 400mg/day
- From 1 to 3 years old: 500mg/day
- From 4 to 6 years old: 600mg/day
- From 7 to 9 years old: 700mg/day
- From 10 years old: 1000mg/day
- From 11 to 24 years old: 1200mg/day
2. When does the child enter puberty?
Girls enter puberty starting from 13 – 14 years old, ending 17 – 18 years old. In boys, puberty begins at 15-16 years, ending at 19-20 years.
Young physical characteristics at puberty:
- Large and fast-growing body
- Is the period when sex hormones are active
- Children have a lot of psychological changes, easy to change their personality …
3. Selection of calcium that is easily absorbed for puberty
This is an element that is considered a core problem in the addition of calcium. When calcium is added to the body without reached the final destination of the tooth bone system, it will cause an increase in the concentration of calcium in the blood or sedimentation due to not absorbing it all, thereby forming calcification in the walls of blood vessels or stones in the kidneys due to the failure to excrete excess calcium from the body.
Parents should choose easily absorbable calcium such as natural calcium to supplement the baby. In addition, it is necessary to strengthen calcium-rich foods such as: dark green vegetables (green cauliflower, broccoli ,…), fresh fruits (oranges, tangerines …), legumes, seeds, eggs, milk, seaweed,…
Throughout puberty, young bones are constantly mature. In early puberty, the period when the child rises quickly will begin early and end earlier than usual. First, the child will grow up compared to his peers but after a few years he will stop developing height and often cannot reach the maximum height of adults.
The early puberty screening package being implemented at Share99 International Health Hub is the right choice for parents to have accurate conclusions about their child's health and development. The baby will be examined with a leading specialist in Pediatric Endococular, performed blood genital endococular tests, bone age assessment tests, brain MRI scans or some more intensive tests to determine the right causes of early puberty and timely intervention.
For more information on early puberty treatment in children at Share99 International Health Hub, please register here
- Early puberty screening package
- Puberty sexual health education: Things to keep in mind
- Psychological characteristics of children of children's and adolescent age