The article was consulted professionally by Master, Dr Vu Quoc Anh – Pediatrician – Pediatrics – Newborn Department – Share99 Da Nang International Health Hub.
Over time, the direction of development of the child becomes more and more separate. When the child is 8 months old, this is when he becomes hyperactive, eager to learn and loves to be an adult. She discovers the exotic things outside waiting for her to discover. The child will be active continuously and will not sit still for a long time.
1. What do 8-month-olds do?
8-month-olds know what to do is a parent's question when having children at this age. Usually, when it comes to this stage, your baby will make you very busy, his hands are constantly active, enjoy crawling and moving to explore small nooks and crannies in his small house…. Children 8 months old will have the following development:
- He can sit up on his own, sometimes still folding forward, but he can almost use his hands to support his body.
- When lying in a flat place, the baby will be constantly active, also know how to hold his feet or anything on the side to put in his mouth. But the baby quickly refuses to lie on his back and automatically flips over.
- When lying on his back, he can bend his back up so that he can see around.
- In the room, the baby begins to crawl to the places he wants to go, or he can also sit and move.
- It is also possible to position the object to stand up; but after standing up, the child needs the help of an adult to be able to sit down.
- Knowing how to stretch your hands to get toys, also began to learn how to pick up toys.
- The baby can already use his left, index, middle finger to hold the cube; know how to coordinate thumbs and index fingers to hold objects and pick up small objects from the ground.
- However, when the child takes the toy, his hand tries to aim for the toy and focus the whole spirit, but he is still not aware of much, so he often throws or drops objects after grasping.
- Babies need to sleep 2-3 times a day, each sleep about 1-3 hours.
- Children in the 8th month usually begin to wake up in the middle of the night. Children can naturally cry and fall asleep again, or they can also cry for a long time. So don't worry too much when you see these changes from a young age, things will gradually get more stable.
- The child's vision, previously around 20/40, has now developed almost adult in terms of clarity and depth. 8-month-olds can see best at close range, their long-range vision is good enough to recognize people and objects in the room.
- The 8-month-old can see the toy in the far corner and crawl in that direction.
- As the hand and eye coordination becomes more mature, children love to explore objects in detail, they will look at photos that are not boring.
- Children know their loved ones well and are happy to meet them. This means that children can also distinguish strangers and show vigilance or fear when interacting with them.
- Children are afraid and anxious when they have to leave their parents
- She will be curious and excited to see new things. When he sees himself in the mirror, he will go to the back of the mirror to search.
- Start observing the behavior of adults, when the adult stands in front of the baby and gives his hands to call him, he will laugh and put his hand out to demand it.
- Know how to imitate adult behavior.
- Can hear the words and feelings of adults, gradually know how to distinguish the mood of adults, as when praised, the child will laugh happily; when scolded, the baby will face down; when she sees her happy, she laughs…
2. Eight months of sitting, not hard, what to do?
Usually up to 8 months old, babies have sat still, know how to crawl and some babies can already practice standing. However, some 8-month-olds do not know how to sit, do not harden their neck due to the development of movement of each child differently, so if you see that the baby is still healthy, knows the lever, knows cows, limbs move well, it should not be too worried.
Therefore, when it comes to this stage that the 8-month-old child has not hardenedhis neck , does not know how to crawl, you should pay attention:
- See if your baby shows signs of calcium deficiency, such as sweating, coronary hair loss, rough nights,… because of lack of calcium, rickets are also the cause of the baby's slowness to sit. Feeding your baby yogurt and cheese can add calcium when they eat insufficient milk. Yogurt is about 50 g a day and should be fed after the main meal for at least 30 minutes.
- It should not be because of feverish but try to force the baby to sit, because for making the baby sit when the bones are not strong enough can adversely affect the spine. Create games for your child to move as they please. Some babies can take up to 9-10 months to sit.
- Pay attention to your baby's diet. This month, the baby needs 500ml of milk and 3 meals of mileage flour. If the mother has enough milk, continue breastfeeding, only eat more formula when she goes to work or does not have enough milk. The flour is cooked each meal consisting of 20g rice flour + meat 20g (or fish, eggs, shrimp, crab …) changes during the day + greens and grease.
- Sunbathing in the early morning for about 20 minutes helps your baby synthesize vitamin D to enhance calcium absorption.
- To practice sitting for your baby, you should let your child practice sitting on his back on his parents or on a pillow. You can take the stacked pillow and let the baby sit in the middle or hold the baby against him. It is also possible to buy your child a pillow to practice sitting so that he can gradually feel balanced and straight back.
- After practicing sitting, you should let your child practice crawling in bed and put the toys that he likes to go forward with close range to encourage him to crawl to get it. If the child does not know how to use force to crawl, adults can keep him moving forward little by little and help him understand objects.
- If you are not really assured, you can take your baby to a pediatric specialist for doctors to check and have specific tips for your baby's case.
3. Caring for and encouraging 8-month-olds
To be able to be a companion and take care of your child properly, you need to pay attention to the following issues:
- Encourage your baby to pick up or touch their own food: Because during the period of feeding the child 8 months,she needs to train her children in the habit of holding a spoon themselves. This encourages the coordination between hands and eyes, prioritizing raw dishes such as boiled vegetables, fruits, rice ball …
- Keep your baby safe: Once your child knows how to crawl, she will enjoy practicing standing by clinging to any object. In the next few months when you practice, you'll have to be more careful because your child is prone to falling and colliding with objects in the house when you haven't kept your balance.
- Choose the right toy for your child: Toys are also a way for mothers to teach children to develop their intellect, color and sound are the factors that attract them. Mom can choose toys that play music and have buttons for her to press the button herself and hear the noise she likes.
- Regularly smiling and transmiting positive energy to the baby, the personality of parents always affects the baby a lot.
- When talking to your child,combine facial expressions, words of emotions to show them.
- Be patient when you cry, show care and share when your baby is uncomfortable.
- Applaud every time your child does something and don't save compliments every time she's good
- If your child is wrong, she will patiently explain to her to create a good habit for her.
Children between 6 months and 3 years of age are very susceptible to respiratory problems, respiratory infections, skin diseases and gastrointestinal infections … parents should pay special attention to the care and provide adequate nutrition for the child. The pediatrics department at Share99 International Health Hub is the address to receive and examine the diseases that babies as well as young children are susceptible to: viral fever, bacterial fever, otitis media, pneumonia in children,… With a system of modern facilities, medical equipment, ionile space, minimizing the impact as well as the risk of spreading diseases, Share99 will bring satisfaction to customers and be highly appreciated by industry experts with:
- Gathering a team of leading doctors in Pediatrics: including leading experts, highly specialized (professors, associate professors, doctors, masters), experienced, used to work at large hospitals such as Bach Mai, 108.. The doctors are well-trained, professional, mind-centered, knowledgeable about the child's psychology. In addition to domestic pediatricians, pediatrics also has the participation of foreign experts (Japan, Singapore, Australia, USA) always pioneering the application of the latest and most effective treatment regimens.
- Comprehensive service: In the field of Pediatrics, Share99 provides a chain of continuous medical examination and treatment services from Newborn to Pediatrics and Vaccines,… according to international standards to take care of your baby's health with parents from birth to adulthood
- In-depth techniques: Share99 has successfully implemented many specialized techniques to make the treatment of difficult diseases in Pediatrics more effective: neurosurgery – skull, hematoma stem cell transplantation in cancer treatment.
- Professional care: In addition to understanding the child's psychology, Share99 also pay special attention to the children's play space, help them play comfortably and get acquainted with the hospital environment, cooperate in treatment, improve the efficiency of medical examination and treatment.
Master. Dr Vu Quoc Anh has nearly 10 years of experience as an inpatient and treating doctor at Hue Central Health Hub and Da Nang Obstetrics and Gynecology Health Hub. Currently, he is a Pediatrician at Share99 Da Nang International Health Hub.
For direct advice, please click hotline number or register online HERE. In addition, you can register for remote consultation HERE
- Nutrition for babies 8 months
- Reference meal and sleep schedule for children 7-8 months old
- Why do young children have sebaceous dermatitis?