The article was consulted professionally by Master, Dr. Ly Thi Thanh Nha – Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology – Share99 Da Nang International Health Hub.
Pregnancy at 22 weeks is an important time for pregnant women to examine and perform obstetric tests during pregnancy. From the results of the previous pregnancy examination, the doctor will decide what the 22-week pregnancy must be tested for. However, there will still be some mandatory tests that every pregnant mother will undergo during the 22nd week pregnancy visit to survey fetal malformations.
1. Why do you need a 22-week pregnancy check-up?
Among the most important pregnancy examination milestones, when the fetus is 22 weeks at this time the fetal anatomy system is complete, it is already eligible to carry out an assessment of the level of development, weight and malformations in the baby.
At this time, the pregnant mother will also be checked for heart, lungs, blood pressure, measuring the height of the uterus, the size of the abdominal ring and a urine test of 10 parameters, a blood test and some other tests prescribed by a doctor.
At this time, the fetus is already large and the conduct of tests, 3D ultrasound, 4D will help the doctor diagnose the fetal condition most accurately when the amount of amniotic fluid has increased and is beneficial for the survey of fetal malformations. In addition, abnormalities in amniotic fluid, cakes … can also be detected this week and offer specific interventions according to the expert.
2. 22-week fetal ultrasound to survey fetal malformations
The fetus at this time will always remind of the existence of the baby by constant movement in the womb. The 2nd trimep is always considered the best trimep during pregnancy.
A 22-week pregnancy ultrasound will help the doctor better understand the erm development of the fetus, diagnose the state of pregnancy and detect malformations (if any).
The reason for the ultrasound at the 22nd week of pregnancy is especially important because if the fetus has any dangerous abnormalities, the doctor will inform the mother to make a timely decision. At this ultrasound, pregnant women are recommended color ultrasound (3D-4D). Ultrasound at this time also detected cases of delayed pregnancy early growth in the uterus through surveys of the condition of the cake, amniotic fluid, fetal weight measurement, arterial Doppler indicators. Therefore, going for an ultrasound follow-up prescribed by the doctor will monitor the growth of the pregnancy and early detection of pregnancy abnormalities.
3. Fetal features at 22 weeks of pregnancy ultrasound
Ultrasound at 22 weeks not only shows the external features of the baby's face and limbs, but doctors also check the development of other bodies and parts of the body.
- Brain: The results of ultrasound of the brain at this stage will help to assess the development status of the baby's brain. If there are abnormalities in the head and brain that can be caused by a variety of causes, depending on the types of lesions, the doctor will have appropriate advice for the maternity.
- Heart: Heart defects are one of the leading causes of birth defects, seriously affecting the health of the fetus. 22-week pregnancy ultrasound, doctors will check the heart to help detect defects early if any.
- Kidneys, bladder: The doctor will check if these two parts are to ensure no blockages or defects occur.
- Digestive system: This gestational age surveys the digestive system as a mandatory work, in order to ensure that the digestive system of the fetus is not clogged or pinched, malformations related to the gastrointestinal tract often cause medium or severe multiple amniotic consequences and are associated with chromochromochromia abnormalities
In addition, a pregnancy check-up will also be carried out and a minimum of 3 times a day is required. Pregnant women need to pay close attention to this issue, regularly observe the baby's movement, if she sees too little or too much movement, consult with doctors for timely advice.
4. What tests to do at 22 weeks gestation?
- Blood test: As one of the important tests during pregnancy, help pregnant mothers detect Down syndrome in the child and detect other conditions. At the same time, blood tests also help pregnant mothers check if they have infected with viruses that are at risk of miscarriage or transmission to their children such as HIV (immuno-impairment syndrome), Rubella (infectious miscarriage), hepatitis B (viral hepatitis) ,…
- Urine test:In parallel with the blood test, the same urine test is done during this time; help detect gestational diabetes, pre-seizures …
- Triple Test: Is a test to screen for birth defects, through 3 indicators of fetal formation: hCG, AFP, and estriol. If the pregnant mother has not taken the Double test at the 12th week of pregnancy, the Triple Test is recommended during gestational week 22 . According to the evaluation experts, the results of the Triple Test combined with the results of blood tests and fetal ultrasound, it is possible to know if the child has Down syndrome, Edward syndrome, or fetal neuro tube malformations. The accuracy rate of the Triple Test is up to 94 – 96%.
In order for mothers and babies to be healthy during pregnancy, regular pregnancy examinations and the selection of a reputable and safe pregnancy examination facility play a very important role. Currently, most medical facilities provide regular pregnancy check-up services. However, there are also many medical facilities that do not have a diagnosis of both equipment and professional staff, causing the diagnosis of the results to be misleading, affecting the health of both mother and baby. Therefore, before deciding to go to the pregnancy examination, pregnant mothers should also learn and choose reputable and safe medical facilities.
Share99 International Health Hub is proud to be a chain of leading prestigious and modern hospitals in the country, converging many leading experts, skilled and experienced doctors. Possessing modern equipment to effectively support the diagnosis and timely handling of difficult cases. Currently, Share99 is providing package maternity services with outstanding quality. Pregnant mothers from the beginning of pregnancy will receive regular pregnancy examinations, 3D, 4D ultrasounds and routine tests, to ensure that the mother is always healthy and the fetus develops comprehensively.
In addition, after birth, the baby will be cared for in a eptic room before being returned to the mother. Maternity will be rested in a high-class hospital room, designed according to international hotel standards, 1 mother 1 room with full facilities and modern. The mother will be consulted by nutritionists on how to nourish the baby before being discharged from the hospital. Post-delivery re-examination with both mother and baby with leading obstetricians and pediatricians.
Master. physician. Ly Thi Thanh Nha worked at Hue University Health Hub of Medicine and Pharmacy and Quang Tri General Health Hub before working at Share99 Danang International Health Hub.
Dr. Nha has strengths and experience in the diagnosis of monitoring and treatment of pregnancy and pathology. Pregnancy screening. Perform cesarean section techniques. Laparoscopic surgery for ovarian cysts, extra-uterine pregnancy.
For direct advice, please click hotline number or register online HERE. In addition, you can register for remote consultation HERE
Is multiple pregnancy ultrasound good? What is the pregnancy ultrasound at Share99?
- Is continuous pregnancy worrying?
- Signs that the fetus is developing well
- Abnormal signs of pregnancy