The article was consulted professionally by Master, Dr. Ly Thi Thanh Nha – Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology – Share99 Da Nang International Health Hub.
The timing of the first pregnancy examination is very important for the mother as well as the fetus. Pregnant women should keep in mind 10 important pregnancy check-up milestones and proactively go to the doctor on schedule to promptly detect abnormalities in pregnancy.
1. First pregnancy check-up: about 5th – 8th week
The first pregnancy examination usually takes place when the pregnant woman is about 5-8 weeks pregnant. At the first pregnancy visit, the doctor will prescribe to perform some of the following reviews:
- Check weight and height to calculate the BMI of the body to assess overweight and obesity. If there are abnormalities, the doctor will guide how to control weight during pregnancy to minimize possible complications.
- Blood tests for bHcg hormones can be tested in cases where ultrasound of the pregnancy sac or ultrasound present with abnormal pregnancy.
- Check your blood pressure to see if a pregnant woman has high blood pressure and take precautions against the risk of pre-seizures.
- Ultrasound to check the location of the embryo and gestational age in order to promptly detect abnormalities such as an extra-intra-uterus pregnancy …
- Calculate the gestational age and date of birth of the baby based on the first day of the last period.
- Perform blood tests to check for some of the following diseases: measles, chickenpox, hepatitis B, syphilis, HIV/AIDS, Rh factor, blood type,…
At this examination, the doctor will advise the pregnant woman how to supplement the necessary vitamins and minerals during pregnancy, provide lifestyle advice, advise on medications and foods to avoid during pregnancy,…
2. 2nd pregnancy visit: Between the 11th – 13th week and 6 days
During the 2nd pregnancy visit, the doctor will perform a weight test, blood pressure measurement, urine test, blood test and ultrasound to assess the health of the mother and the developmental condition of the fetus.
The doctor will also prescribe a Double test and ultrasound to check for major abnormalities that may occur at this gestational age such as: Cranial pregnancy, umbilical hernia, large optical state …, especially ultrasound to measure nape skin opacity to assess whether the fetus is at risk of Down (and some chromochromia abnormalities such as Edward or Patau's disease). If ultrasound results of the nape of the neck opacity show that the fetus is at increased risk for heredity, the doctor will advise the necessary tests to help accurately diagnose the disease such as NIPT (non-invasive pre-birth screening test) or thorny biopsy … NIPT testing with the outstanding advantage of non-invasive, completely non-harmful to the fetus and can be done early from the 8th week 1000. NIPT is recommended for high-risk subjects and may even be the first choice for pregnant mothers in multiple deviation screening in Q1.
3. 3rd pregnancy visit: week 16-22
- During the 3rd pregnancy examination, the doctor will continue to perform routine examinations such as weight, blood pressure, ultrasound, urine tests,… to monitor fetal development.
- If the Double test has not been performed, the doctor will prescribe a Triple test, which is the type of blood test performed between the 15th – 18th week of pregnancy. These tests screen for diseases such as those in the first quarter of pregnancy but have a lower sensitivity than double tests.
Amnioticpuncture : If previous tests show that the fetus is at risk of congenital malformations, the doctor will recommend an amniotic puncture test between the 15th and 18th weeks of pregnancy. It should also be noted that this procedure is at risk of miscarriage but at a fairly low rate, only about less than 1%.
4. 4th pregnancy visit: between weeks 22-28
To monitor the pregnancy, the doctor will carry out the following reviews:
- Check your weight
- Blood pressure measurement
- Pregnancy examination: Measure the distance from the intra-uterus rock to the pubic bone (called measuring the height of the uterus and the pregnant woman's abdominal ring) to monitor fetal development, check the fetal heart
- Urine tests
- Ultrasound screening for fetal malformations. The doctor will prescribe 4D ultrasound to check the fetal dysenteria, screen for abnormalities (heart, limbs, abdomen, bones, brain, spine, kidneys) and check the placenta's grip, amount of amniotic fluid
- Gestational diabetes screening: Glucose tolerance test to promptly detect gestational diabetes mellitus and intervene by changing diet, lifestyle and being able to take more insulin
- First nasal VAT tetanus vaccination
5. 5th pregnancy visit: weeks 28-32
The doctor will ultrasound screening for the third quarter of the pregnancy to detect late-oncinal abnormalities of the fetus such as: Intestinal obstruction, varicose dilation, fetal infection, fetal heart examination, fetal size estimation, blood test, urine test to monitor fetal development. During this pregnancy visit, the pregnant woman will be vaccinated against the second nasal VAT tetanus.
6. 6th pregnancy visit: weeks 32-34
The doctor will check the fetal heart, estimate the size ofthe fetus,blood tests, urinetests, non-stress tests to monitor the development of the fetus.
7. 7th pregnancy visit: weeks 34-36
The doctor will perform similar evaluations at the 6th pregnancy visit to monitor the development of the pregnancy and the health of the mother.
8. 8th, 9th, 10th pregnancy visit: week 36 to week 39
This is an important stage because the pregnant woman is about to enter labor. At this stage the pregnant woman will have to go to the pregnancy check-up once a week. During the examination, the doctor will conduct routine examinations such as ultrasounds, blood tests to prepare for birth, urine, non-stress tests and cervical examinations to monitor pregnancy.
In addition, the doctor may recommend additional pelvic evaluation tests to see if the pregnant woman should give birth normally or have a cesarean section. The doctor will also advise the pregnant woman how to recognize signs of imminent birth in order to promptly be admitted to the hospital.
Perform non-stress test, also known as fetal heart measurement: based on changes in the fetal heart corresponding to fetal movement. In addition, the test also helps the doctor find out if the fetus receives enough oxygen.
Share99 International Health Hub offers a full maternity care program for women from the very beginning of pregnancy from the first months with a full range of pregnancy examinations, 3D ultrasounds, 4D routines and routine tests to ensure the mother is always healthy and the fetus develops comprehensively. Maternity will no longer be alone when entering labor because having a companion helps the process of childbirth always bring peace of mind and happiness.
Mother and baby will receive comprehensive care: before, during and after birth. Mothers will be given health tests especially thyroid screening, Rubella tests; testing for parasites transmitted from mother to child. Babies will be screened for pre-birth and post-birth screening for abnormal diseases and birth defects from the time they are in the womb. In particular, at Share99, doctors will analyze the results and consult genetic screening for babies.
In addition, the full "painless birth" service during childbirth and after birth using non-morphine sural anesthesia and neurosychism will erase the fear of childbirth for many mothers. During the birth process, the maternity will be instructed by the assistants how to properly push and breathe, the baby will be born in just 10-15 minutes. After birth, the baby will be cared for in a ileant room before being returned to his mother.
Maternity will be rested in a high-class hospital room, designed according to international hotel standards, 1 mother 1 room with full facilities and modern. The mother will be consulted by nutritionists on how to nourish the baby before being discharged from the hospital. Post-delivery re-examination with both mother and baby with leading obstetricians and pediatricians.
Master. physician. Ly Thi Thanh Nha worked at Hue University Health Hub of Medicine and Pharmacy and Quang Tri General Health Hub before working at Share99 Danang International Health Hub.
Dr. Nha has strengths and experience in the diagnosis of monitoring and treatment of pregnancy and pathology. Pregnancy screening. Perform cesarean section techniques. Laparoscopic surgery for ovarian cysts, extra-uterine pregnancy.
For direct advice, please click hotline number or register online HERE. In addition, you can register for remote consultation HERE
- Does a blood test know you're pregnant?
- What signs do embryos nest without testing?
- Vaginal bleeding, is HCG 7.99 a sign of early miscarriage?